Cost for first service

TrueBlue

I just got mine done today, got taken for a ride with a cost of $243. I plan on doing all the rest of my general services and oil changes myself, but because I was 100 miles over due for the 600mile service and because I wanted to make sure this first one got done correctly I paid the price. :rolleyes:

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member
W

whatever

too much !!

but i have been working on bikes for over 35 years, so if your not sure better to pay now then be sorry later.

roundhouse

i am close to service time on the fz6r but when i rolled up on 600 with my R6 i just did it myself. i used a checklist off the R6 forums and bought the proper greases for the levers and it was all good.

worst part was removing the plasic

gaducatisti

I purchased my FZ6-R used with less than 600 miles on it. I do a lot of my own work but I took this to the dealer because I knew nothing about the prior owner. Price was c. $200. I just took the carbs out of my daughter's Ninja 250 and cleaned the jets. Many years ago, I had a Honda CB-100. I could drop the float bowls; then remove and clean the jets in about 15 minutes. To get to the Ninja jets, I almost had to take the whole rear end of the bike apart and pull the carbs off of the bike to remove the float bowls. Like automobiles, modern motorcycles are more complicated then their ancestors - but they are still fun to ride! One piece of good news with the FZ6-R is that the valves don't need adjusting until you hit 16,000 miles. Try waiting that long on a 1970 Honda!

gcskimmer3

3 quarts of oil 15$, a filter 15$, my first oils change 30$, sounds like you got ripped off...haha The oil is so easy to change, you dont even have to take the fairing off, just the bottom screw, you'll need a filter wrench from auto zone, an oil pan, and a general socket set... I'm no gear head by any means...

all you gotta do:

1) warm up the bike to about 150º
2) drain all the oil
3) take out the old filter and put in the new, when putting the new one on just make sure you fill it up about 1/4 of the way and get the seal wet..hand tight(you'll thank for that next time...lol)
4) put the oil plug back in, nice and cleaned off from where you dropped it in the oil pan.
5) fill up the oil
6) let the bike run for about 2-3 minutes, and use a flashlight and check for any leaks...

enjoy...

FYI: every service is different, all you gotta do is look in the manual... the first its a once over, oil change, and chain check... if you rode it right for the first 600 miles it shouldnt be bad...

Speedv1

Well the reason it's quite costly is because of everything that is done at the 1000km / 600mi.

Just check your user manual - it's 10 things on top of your standard oil change. Personally I'm going to pay it, but from then on it'll be self-serviced. I'll let you guys know what it costs up here in Canada.

Roaddawg

Well the reason it's quite costly is because of everything that is done at the 1000km / 600mi.

Just check your user manual - it's 10 things on top of your standard oil change. Personally I'm going to pay it, but from then on it'll be self-serviced. I'll let you guys know what it costs up here in Canada.
I think your a little misinformed. The first service is a piece of cake. The reason it's quite costly is they charge a lot because they can and you'll pay it! If you read those 10 items, you'd see it's basically just checking to make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight and the fluids didn't leak, plus the basic oil change of course. After the 600 mile, there's actually more involved in the following services. i.e.: Are you changing the spark plugs yourself at 8k miles? How about packing the steering bearing at 12K? If your comfortable and planning on doing the maintainance following the 600 mile one, save yourself a lot of future oil/filter money and just do the first service yourself. It's really the easiest one of all of them. I'm over 22k miles and have done all the services myself....and this is my first real bike.

Speedv1

I think your a little misinformed. The first service is a piece of cake. The reason it's quite costly is they charge a lot because they can and you'll pay it! If you read those 10 items, you'd see it's basically just checking to make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight and the fluids didn't leak, plus the basic oil change of course. After the 600 mile, there's actually more involved in the following services. i.e.: Are you changing the spark plugs yourself at 8k miles? How about packing the steering bearing at 12K? If your comfortable and planning on doing the maintainance following the 600 mile one, save yourself a lot of future oil/filter money and just do the first service yourself. It's really the easiest one of all of them. I'm over 22k miles and have done all the services myself....and this is my first real bike.
Hmm looking at it you seem right. It's just standard checks. My only concern would be if you have a faulty unit on your bike, now would be the time to get it repaired. Looking at it though the only thing that concerns me is; "replace gaskets if necessary".

The manual seems to illustrate everything else, just don't really know how to know if I need to replace them...

Anyone? (I tried a quick search with no hits).

And btw, thanks Roaddawg!

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

mspHtown

didn't do that until OM said, don't have it in front of me, but 12 or 16k? It wouldn't hurt to check it, but if the engine is running smooth (e.g. no sag in power on take-offs, smooth idle) then they are probably fine.
section 7-3:

item fuel injection says "Check and adjust engine idle speed and synchronization."

i agree the average bear can perform the regularly scheduled maintenance, but i feel that having the dealership do the first service is not a bad idea. if there are any issues with the bike, this is when yamaha can square everything away before something happens with too many miles on the bike. obviously this is worthless if the dealership is worthless.

i always do everything on my car and i HATE letting the dealership or any mechanic touch it (which is why i dont let them), but i feel the first service on a bike may be a good idea.

my 2 cents...