cops pull over guy for his helmet cam

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member
D

Deleted member 9794

I was thinking of getting a cam just for daily riding just incase something happens but this is gonna make me think twice about it.
Actually, this makes me think twice about riding in the middle of a large pack of bikers AND makes me think twice about a fender eliminator. Without the FE I wonder how this would've played out.

CDN6R

This IS crap. The Cop was on a power trip. Any thoughts there Rook,, or do different States have different laws?? Police behaving like this give ALL Police the wrong image.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Fenixgoon

doesn't sound legit at all. plus the camera footage, assuming it was still on while conversing with the officer, can be used in his defense.

maryland had a semi-related case where an officer tried to prevent the use of a helmet camera through wiretapping laws. the case was dismissed (thank god)

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

Spunky99

Because the officer pulled him over to take his cam recording and that is on the film, the secondary charge of an obstructed plate as the reason he was pulled over won't hold up in court. By handing over the film to the gang unit, the Police stole private property and may have to pay a hefty price.
I bet he had his license plate all the way down by the base of his rear shock and tucked behind the rear tire. That is a big NO NO. So I can see him getting a ticket but arrested and the bike towed is over the line especially when done in retaliation for refusal to turn over private property when no crimes were either seen or committed by the other bikers.
Sounds like a nice lawsuit and I hope the cop gets a nice suspension and a class on constitutional rights.

Deputyfarva252

the way he was shoved into the car, and the way the officer angrily slammed the door twice... pulling him over for someone else's doing and singling him out, then arresting him for a reason he came up with.... he never even read the man is rights....and the rider has a right to know where his bike is going....i believe if i have a camera regardless of what an officer may think is on it has no right to confiscate my personal belongings especially a film being taken in public access....if they want that film they will need a warrant...
I dont have to read you your rights when I arrest you.

Deputyfarva252

Of course I dont have the whole story but based on the facts and vid that has been presented this is going to be dismissed in court and lawsuit will probably follow. Now had the cop said right off the rip Im stopping you based on the tag it would have been ok (I guess In my state is just an infraction not arrestable) but I dunno. You can be laid back and still be an effective law enforcement officer , Ill still respect you as a person even as Im arresting you and if you resist will still call you sir as we go to the pavement. Some cops give the rest of us bad names.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Spunky99

Without the FE, this cop would have just come up with some other BS charge...
Like the one that kicked my tail light to break it so he could write me up for a broken tail light instead of doing 125 up H2 on Oahu with a passenger in a 55 zone....lol......;)

I remember he said something like "dumb fucking haole GI"

MustGoFaster

Without the FE, this cop would have just come up with some other BS charge...
Yup, this POS was so frustrated that they couldn't find a legit reason to arrest the bikers that he made one up. Hope that bacon fries in hell. Sorry to all the *real* officers in this forum for that sentiment, but guys like that suck and really do give the rest of the decent, honorable LEO's a horrendous showing.

Deputyfarva252

I was about to make that comment , rights are only required before you question someone in relation to the arrest , correct ?
Yup thats when miranda rights attach but if Im asking about your name DOB and stuff like that that stuff doesnt fall under miranda. I love when people start yelling I know my rights , most of the time I politely request they use their first right ........

Y

yellowfz

Showed wifey vid, she is ex-Dallas officer. Her reaction was, "He was totally wrong for pulling him over!"
Some officers make the whole bunch look bad. :eek:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member