Consequences of gravel

SLAMF

Just thought everyone would enjoy sharing my misery. My dumb ass went riding on back roads the day after we had a huge storm. Anyway I was coming down a hill into a sharp curve. Well there was gravel in the middle, so I cut to the outside to avoid it. Well when I hit the curve there was gravel all on it. It was like ice. No matter what I did it didn't matter, I had to lay it down. The damage is all cosmetic, including myself.

Attachments

J

jazzpaintball

At least you are OK. Also the bike looks alright for the most part. I have seen what gravel can do to a bike/biker, and it is not pretty

cbzdel

glad your ok! damage doesnt look to bad, be sure to get some sliders when you repair it!

S

Steph

Glad you are ok! Same thing happened to me the very first time I took my bike out. Within 10 minutes of delivery. I had NO idea that gravel was that treacherous!

N

NakedJ

+1 to you being ok. plastic is far easier to fix than skin. please listen to cbzdel's advice, sliders, crash bobbins are the very first thing to fit

L

Less

I just had the same thing happen to me with sand. Luckily I had frame sliders on and it took 95% of the damage. (new ones are already on). Other than that I just scratched up the mirror a bit and the corner of the fairng up near the windscreen got nicked. I on the other hand ended up with abrasion burns on both knees and right forearm. No skin hit the asphalt but rubbing along the inside of the jeans and jacket scraped them up. They are healing nicely.
http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/16421-frame-sliders-work-part-ii.html#post207064

R

rider1a

Just thought everyone would enjoy sharing my misery. My dumb ass went riding on back roads the day after we had a huge storm. Anyway I was coming down a hill into a sharp curve. Well there was gravel in the middle, so I cut to the outside to avoid it. Well when I hit the curve there was gravel all on it. It was like ice. No matter what I did it didn't matter, I had to lay it down. The damage is all cosmetic, including myself.
I am glad your are ok.

I have done this before....gravel when you don't expect it, especially in a turn is quite contributor to the pucker factor if not the crash'ola circumstance.

You never really know what is around the next turn...the track is predictable but the public roads is a whole different puppy.

Fred

GoGreen09

The damage sucks, but glad that you're okay.

Good to hear you made it out mostly unscathed!

I live off of a gravel road. Not very far, it's only about half a mile, but it scares the **** out of me every time I take the bike out. It's a pretty steep hill, and I'm usually praying the whole way. Best advice a buddy of mine gave me was just keep a steady hand on the throttle, and whatever you do, don't use your front brake. It seems to be working out for me so far.

fz6rwolf

Glad you're ok, the plastic at least doesn't look cracked so all's good, and if plastic does get completely trashed at least you can take it off and have a naked "r".

R

Ryan T

Glad to hear you're ok. Sorry about the road rash on your ride. Hope the repairs go well.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Really glad you are alright. It's nice to know that someone out there is watching over us. The bike doesn't look to trashed, a little touch up paint and it'll be good as new (except the engine cover).

Just a piece of advice for next time....the ride is a lot more fun when the wheels are on the ground. lol :rolleyes:

Ride hard, but always arrive at your destination safely.

SLAMF

Wow, thanks for everyone's concern about me. I myself was more concerned for the bike. The first thing I did was jump up, lift the bike up and cry. (not really) Ok really. I appreciate all the advice. The frame sliders are on their way now, just a little too late. But now I have a new found respect for gravel.

tractorboy

Gravel is WORSE than ICE.....It "ROLLS" under your tires it cannot feel "loose" till too late. Ive ridden bike on ICE...without spikes on the lake and thats better than that small gravel they top the roads with (with the oil).......

Its hard to see till too late as well !!!

GOOD LUCK......

SLAMF

Well I finally got the estimate done and it's going to cost $2800.00 total. Now I plan on ordering all the parts and doing it myself. FYI a single fairing for this bike costs $411, so get the frame sliders. Also I have State Farm (for those wondering which insurance to go with) and was wondering how much my policy would go up. They told me that their rates do NOT go up on motorcycles. My friend also has them and he's had 4 claims and no rate increase, but I will see for myself.

MNDZA

Well I finally got the estimate done and it's going to cost $2800.00 total. Now I plan on ordering all the parts and doing it myself. FYI a single fairing for this bike costs $411, so get the frame sliders. Also I have State Farm (for those wondering which insurance to go with) and was wondering how much my policy would go up. They told me that their rates do NOT go up on motorcycles. My friend also has them and he's had 4 claims and no rate increase, but I will see for myself.
Where the hell did they get $2800 from? That's nuts! Imagine having no insurance...

You got lucky your turn signal didn't break off. I just layed mines down gently and the turn signal came right off. The only thing I would cry over would have been that engine cover it looks nasty. Glad your ok though.

joloy133

Hey, glad UR OK. I was ran off the road avoiding an intersection collision and sustained similar damage. A good body shop in town saw the damage and can fill and repaint for around $150, (they can match stock color). You would have to decide on stock decals or custom designed ones. This is another option to consider. (I used a sharpie on the case scratches and black plastic for now.) Estimates are free..............good luck