Commuting to work?

meganiimarie

Hey Ladies,

Any of you commute to a professional setting on your motorbike? I usually split my commute between my bike and car depending on the weather, but I no longer have the option of a car. Since it was always a choice I didn't mind having to pack a backpack with full outfits, but the thunderstorms moving through have me thinking about other options. How do you all get to work without having to move half your closet to the office?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
not being a girl, I can still add...

I keep a change of clothes at work, and stuff for a shower.... lesson learned: had bad experience after a rain, getting drenched in muddy remains... I was lucky, we have a walk-in hot chamber kept at +60C, it still took me about thirty minutes to get mostly dry.

Haha used that chamber a few times myself!

But yes, keep some spare clothes at work I would say. Or some good gear you can throw over your clothes. Or trunk to carry them in.

Roaddawg

Not being a girl either, but I have a huge top case (47 liter size) that I used to commute with and was able to put a full suit, shirts, tie and shoes in, when I needed to...wrinkle free. It worked great in the rain too, keeping my stuff dry.

meganiimarie

But yes, keep some spare clothes at work I would say. Or some good gear you can throw over your clothes.
In general I try to make sure that I at least have a pair of heels and a top. But I can only wear the same shoes so many days. You guys have it easy that you can get away with rewearing work clothes a lot more often and having less people notice ;)

FazerWest

Honestly, i dont commute to work on the bike because i work graveyard and in vegas i worry about all the drunks out at night....that being said, if i were in your shoes i'd be more worried about my hair after being in a helmet rather than what shoes i was putting on! haha, they have some great saddlebag sets for the 6r so you can carry more and not have to have a backpack on!

Grayce

For me, I wear all my gear to work. If it's "nice outfit day" and hot summer, I'll wear the bare minimum under my overpants/jacket and carry the rest in either a backpack or soft saddlebags/tailbag (I have Cortech). Yeah, the 100 degree days can be miserable - but the mornings are nice here.... :) Fold carefully, or roll. Don't pack too tightly.

I carry my rain overjacket (Teknic) or my jacket liner (easily packable) just in case and the overpants are somewhat waterproof. Fortunately, it's a short commute and the hair holds up fairly well. In the colder temps, sweats/jeans under the gear. It's the price I/we pay to be able to ride on work days :D

And as I get (even) older, I quit worrying about what people think about what I wear every day. If you ask most people what they thought you wore yesterday they won't even remember. If they do, they clearly don't have enough to do!! Yeah, there's always one though.....

meganiimarie

If you ask most people what they thought you wore yesterday they won't even remember. If they do, they clearly don't have enough to do!! Yeah, there's always one though.....
I always get comments about the shoes. Maybe it's because the heels are loud on the tile floors, maybe it's because I do kinda wear some flashy pumps, maybe it's because they have a thing for feet. Who knows... :p

meganiimarie

if i were in your shoes i'd be more worried about my hair after being in a helmet rather than what shoes i was putting on!
I just keep a hair dryer at my desk. Since I'm the first one in the office it's easy to just get it wet and dry out the helmet hair :D

r0ar

But I can only wear the same shoes so many days.
Maybe as a female you guys notice the shoes . I couldn't tell you if someone wore the same shirt at work let alone heels lol. But yeah I leave some stuff at work in my locker but I also have to carry my gun belt home so I usually just wear it for me rides in to work . But I don't recommended you doing that with the heels haha

meganiimarie

r0ar

Back to the Original subject I would say keep one outfit at work in case your bag gets wet with some of your clothes or if you wear what you ride in . Then switch it out once you wear it keep that one at home and bring another in . And it won't look like the whole closet is at work. Most the guys I work with bring in duffel bags ( Granted we have uniforms and duty belts) but I still think this would make it easy for you to ride in since you don't have the car option and still not make it so your office is full of your clothes.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

meganiimarie

Most of the guys I know have a locker to keep their uniforms in which makes things easier for them. They also let up on the requirement locally for what you need to wear to get to 'get to work' which eases some of what I need to carry. I think now that I've moved a few outfits/shoes to work, I'm in a comfortable groove and safe in case I get rained on. Thanks for the suggestions :)

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

meganiimarie

Beautiful country. Scary roads in the city lol. I'm definitely giving the 6R's suspension a run for it's money. If you make it back out this way, let me know. Maybe we can do an Amalfi run :D

I just notice you're from Italy. Lovely road up there... lucky you! I was there about a month ago (Brescia-Rome and everything in between) Absolutely beautiful country.