Class M1 License

Hoops 09Raven

Woot!!!

I just got my Class M1 (motorcycle) license today!!!!

Have been illegally driving my bike around since purchase, now I'm legal! :D

Got the stuffing scared out of me a couple weeks back when a Sheriff's Deputy came up on my rear and stayed there for a few minutes before passing me. Had an epiphany to get my license!!!

Sparkxx1

I've been driving illegally too, I already made the road test appointment and now I just gotta be careful when I'm out practicing!

JSP

Super Moderator
Hmm.. most states have a learners permit. No riding test required, just go pass the written test and you get a permit for 1 year. You are supposed to ride with another licensed rider (on a separate bike) and cannot carry a passenger or ride at night. But this gives you the opportunity to learn while being legal.

Dont ride illegally!

Texas did away with the learners permits. So if you are a new rider, you are kinda screwed at being able to practice legally. That is why I am still saving for my MSF so I can get my license. And that's why my bike only has 270 miles on it after owning it 4 months.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

iSpoolin

Hmm.. most states have a learners permit. No riding test required, just go pass the written test and you get a permit for 1 year. You are supposed to ride with another licensed rider (on a separate bike) and cannot carry a passenger or ride at night. But this gives you the opportunity to learn while being legal.

Dont ride illegally!
In WV its for 90 days and you can ride alone and at night, just no passengars. They only last for 90 days.

I don't have mine yet either but i'm getting them ont he 12th :)

I work 7am-6pm everyday so its kinda hard to make it to the DMV

Hoops 09Raven

Here in Cali you can have the permit for 1year, however I thought it dumb that you cant ride on the freeway...how the heck are you gonna learn how to ride on the freeway if you cant ride on the freeway.

Sparkxx1

I would totally ride with a licensed rider if I knew anybody that did ride... It's stupid how I can't ride by myself(with a permit) and certain restrictions because I totally agree with

-no night riding
-no passengers
-no freeway(you don't need high speeds for the road test)

but no, in NYS you need a friend which I don't have, or take the MSF course which will cost almost 400$! :banghead:

NoDoze

Congratulations on your M1!

AFDavis11

Congrats on your license. I won't comment on the illegal riding. The MSF course is great though. I've met a lot of people who totalled their bike before they even had a license.

edk442

up until recently, here in saskatchewan canada the you could keep your learners licence indefinitely with the following restrictions:

no passengers, no night riding and no further than 100km from your registered address

but they've recently changed the licence to a "graduated" license which means you won't be able to ride restriction-free for at least 3 years. so i got my butt in gear (word play!) and got my full M-class licence before it went into effect so that i wouldn't be under the new guidelines

the learners permit written test is a joke...30 questions about road signs and basic traffic laws. i'm quite appalled that a written test can/could qualify someone who's never touched a bike to ride one...i figured it was in my best interest to take the safety course

Last edited:

Tmak73

I would highly recommend the MSF course to everyone who has not taken it. It is actually pretty fun. I took it about 4 years back when I was in high school and am doing it again to get my license. Great learning experience and some insurance companies give you a discount on insurance and some dealers will give you discounts on gear if you complete the course. At least in MN thats how it works anyways.

NoDoze

+1 on MSF. Definitely gives you more skills than not.

edk442

i'm convinced that taking the safety course helped me get my licence...not only because of the skills it taught me (i had none to begin with) but because apparently it shows up on my file. around here, it's notoriously hard to pass the road test on your first try. however, the instructor who gave me my road test was aware that i'd taken the course and i'm sure it gave a favourable impression that i wasn't some little punk kid who was going to give them trouble. passed on my first go at it!