Chicken Strip

JonKerr

Elite Member

flyingminno

Here are mine, my right ride has the most so it is the chicken side :p. I'm trying to eliminate the strip but the pegs are scraping by the time I am leaning over far enough to get to that point.

Attachments

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
As I read this, I was picturing you draggin a knee through the grocery store parking lot...going so slow that you pivot around on your knee! :D
That's how I pick up the ladies. I can't count how many numbers I have gotten by draggin' knee at the gym after yoga class. :cool:

bmw675

Are you saying the only time you lean the bike over is to put it on the kickstand? :justkidding: :D
put it this way, add the the strips on the side and it would probably be more than the wear in the middle.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
I had one of the coaches in my riding clinic I put on last month show guys how you can drag knee at just about any speed. I'm not kidding you he was draggin knee in the parking lot going around the planters at 20 mph! The control he had was insane!
This is how I learned as well. We did practice at slow speeds down to about 20 mph too. It really teaches you more about your bike than trying to accomplish the same thing at speed.

As I said, with proper technique, the speed will come and the strips will go. :D

Dart, it's not just for the track and no, you don't have to be going ludicrous speed to practice. While the cops may notice, often times, it's between 5 and 10 over and they just stare and grumble. ;)

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
In fact I know guys who have gone to a certain area we ride often and do laps and had the cops pull over and let them by and told them they didn't want to spoil their fun.
:eek: :D Soooooooo...... any Server/SAN jobs near you? Decent housing prices? :sinister:

JonKerr

Elite Member

bmw675

i got my camera out the otherday for my license plate so i thought i'd share my strips.

and yes, you can still see the tits that were an 1 1/2" in. if you looked at it in person, you would see that its around 1 5/8" on both sides. btw, i have about 1500 miles on it.

:eek:

NYGirl

Mine are about 1 1/4" on the left, 1 1/2" on the right.
This is my first bike, I've put 2000 miles on it, I'm now ready to start leaning it over. I think. Maybe. Soon. One day....
:cool:

ME_with_a_B

I'm still learning how to lean without having an anxiety attack... I have serious concerns about slipping and wrecking...

So my strips are nothing to be proud of :disapprove:

View attachment 18944 View attachment 18945

And after looking at these pictures, I've realized I lean much more on my right turns than my left... hmmm... I wonder why...

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Pizz

Chicken strips and risk

On the ZX forum, one of the posts said his chicken strips were "father of two young kids with a mortgage" wide, 1". I thought that was a great answer, because it shows his unwillingness to take an unacceptable risk of crashing.

How far you can successfully lean your bike over is a combination of three main things: tires, skill and risk.

You can increase your skill and buy better tires, but there will always be risk. If you lean your bike all the way over, you increase your risk of losing traction and lowsiding or highsiding if:
-you hit a small patch of dirt, oil or uneven pavement.
-the turn gets tighter (reducing radius - you will ride off the road).

I believe that chicken strips are a measure of your skill combined with your tolerance for the risk of crashing.

Having said all that, mine are 1/2" on the FZ6R and 1/4" on the ZX14.

I find the OEM FZ6R tires greasy in the corners, not confidence inspiring.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member