Changing Fuel Type

FSauve

I just purchased a 2009 FZ6R with 1800km and the previous owner always filled it up with premium 91. Would it cause any issues to switch to Regular 87? I've filled it up a few times with 87 and although I haven't noticed any hiccups or power issues, could it cause the engine to tick or have a different sound?

Thanks

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Kdubb223

I use 91 because I support oil companies! :D

Attachments

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

FSauve

So the tick tick tick noise I get while at 6000+ RPM is nothing to worry about? I'm not really sure what the difference between pinging/knocking and normal yamaha engine noise is.

SurfJunkie

So the tick tick tick noise I get while at 6000+ RPM is nothing to worry about? I'm not really sure what the difference between pinging/knocking and normal yamaha engine noise is.
Thats regular yamaha engine noise. Has nothing to do with the octane of your fuel.

JSP

Super Moderator
No need to use premium at all in these bikes.

Y

yellowfz

Take off in third gear, you will hear knock then. :D

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

alh081

when i bought the bike, i was told to ONLY use 87 gas by the salesperson. apparently, using anything other will mess up the bike in the long run. so i'm staying w/ 87.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member