chain noise?

krisrtnz

Hello

I am writing this because I have a strange noise on my fz6r...
Until 5500km was only the great engine sound...

I started to notice the noise when turning left on the curves ... but now, the noise is constant.

When you have your left leg resting on the tank you "isolate" the noise, but if you move your leg out, the noise is quite high.

It's only present during acceleration. If you're rolling without acceleration or if you puch the clutch, the noise disappears .

Sounds like a rubbing noise during ex: "sszszzzszszs ..."

I put the bike on center stand and began alecrating .. 1st, 2nd, 3rd ... noise begins to appear, but less intense.

It seems that come frome the front drive sprocket or the chain guide .. but it is difficult to realize from where it comes.

The chain tension is correct and the allways verified on yamaha dealer.
The chain is well lubricated with Motul Road Chain Lube.

The noise is constant but has never made the noise before now, and when you put your left leg, the intense noise replace the sound of the engine.

The bike has 5800 km, and the transmission does not show signs of wear. They are like new.

S

SkyOrDie

I'll venture a guess. How about 1 pound of flung-off chain lube packed in around the front sprocket?

-Stan

JSP

Super Moderator
The 6R HAS a noisy chain. You may just not have noticed it. Make sure the front sprocket, etc is not caked with crap. Do a good cleaning. Make sure there are no kinks or missing o-rings in the chain. Check sprocket wear.

krisrtnz

thanks guys

thanks for the quick posting, i just finished servicing my bike, cleaned the chain and front and back sprockets, the noise still happens, it's a metallic buzzing noise and remember only happens when i accelerate, i have noticed that 40-60 degrees Celc there is no noise at all.

S

SkyOrDie

How's the rear wheel alignment? I don't think the alignment marks on the chain adjusters are very accurate at all. If it's off, the chain may be coming off the sprocket skewed. Under acceleration the top run of chain tightens up and, if skewed, could perhaps make some noise.

-Stan

krisrtnz

How's the rear wheel alignment? I don't think the alignment marks on the chain adjusters are very accurate at all. If it's off, the chain may be coming off the sprocket skewed. Under acceleration the top run of chain tightens up and, if skewed, could perhaps make some noise.

-Stan
thanks Stan,
how would i check the alignment of the rear axle without using the chain adjustment marks?
could i use a tape measure and measure from the rear of the frame\where the adjustment bolts are up to the axle bolts? would that be accurate?

S

SkyOrDie

The short answer is I sight down both edges of the rear tire and see where those lines fall relative to the front tire. From my days as a ditch digger setting batter boards and sighting survey marks, I think I have a pretty good eye. I've also used a laser level to shine a beam down the edge. Once aligned, future chain adjustments are done by counting an equal number of turns on each side.

The long answer is get the bike up on a rear stand and set the front wheel straight. Get down low behind the bike and sight a line from about 1/5 the way up from the bottom of the rear tire looking towards the side of the front tire. Use the outermost edge of the sidewall and rotate the tire to make sure you're not in an anomalous section of the tire.

Move your head slightly from side to side until the rear-most edge of the rear tire just eclipses the front-most edge of the rear tire. Follow that line by eye to the edge of the front tire. I put down a piece of tape or some other marker by the side of the front tire and fine tune the position with a few more sightings. Do this for both sides. Move the chain adjusters so that the distance from the sighting marks to the edge of the front tire is the same on both sides.

-Stan

Bloke