Chain Lubrication/Sprocket Noise

Rao

I posted on this Friday night, in the Chain Maintenance Thread, and have seen over 50 views on the thread, but no reply. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

I cleaned my chain myself for the first time on Friday, as the rear sprocket was making alot of noise. After cleaning and lubing the chain, I take the bike for a spin, and immediately notice the rear sprocket is super quiet. (yay)

However, after about 10-15 minutes, I notice the front sprocket is making alot of noise. The tinny high-pitched chain noise only comes up when I'm using throttle. When I'm coasting, engine breaking, or using the clutch, I don't hear a thing.

I went ahead and cleaned the chain again, and reapplied the chain wax, but still run into the issue of a lot of noise coming from the front sprocket. This entire weekend, the noise remains. I'd like to know if I'm just being hyper-critical of the front sprocket noise, if I'm not doing something quite right, or whatever!

I'm using the Maxima Chain Cleaner and Chain Wax Lubricant.

Any Ideas? I'm certain I used ample amounts of lubricant wax....

Michael Wilson

Check your rear tire alignment. If it is off it can cause the chain not to "glide" on the sprockets smoothly

Fizzer6R

besides the above, have you looked at all the teeth on both sprockets to see if any are wearing down, bent etc? how many miles on it?

this also assumed, you are lubing the inside/rollers of the chain right and not the outside facing links. you prob. know it helps the lube stick when the chain is hot.

doesn't sound like lack o lube issue tho, especially considering more so under throttle load.
- do you have a rear stand? best to slowly roll and see if you have any kinks in the chain.
-- maybe 1 or more sprocket bolts aren't torque'd good, check for loose...?

Last edited:

Rao

The bike has about 1600 miles on it. No kinks in the chain, as I checked this during it's first and second cleanings. All the teeth of both of the sprockets are intact and uniform. I specifically lube the inside circumference of the chain.

I'm not sure how alignment would come into play as the bike is very low in mileage, but I'll check it today.

Last edited:

Michael Wilson

The bike has about 1600 miles on it. No kinks in the chain, as I checked this during it's first and second cleanings. All the teeth of both of the sprockets are intact and uniform. I specifically lube the inside circumference of the chain.

I'm not sure how alignment would come into play as the bike is very low in mileage, but I'll check it today.
Even a brand spankin new bike can be out of alignment. Basically it means your rear tire isnt straight with the bike (if that makes any sense) Straighten the tire, it straightens the chain.

bmw675

check the alignment of the rear tire. It only takes a fraction to make a difference. Some people on here have mentioned that they don't trust the marks on the swingarm and have gave numerous other ways to measure alignment. I personally liked to measure from the center of the swingarm pivot bolt to the center of the rear axle.

ChUcK

check the alignment of the rear tire. It only takes a fraction to make a difference. Some people on here have mentioned that they don't trust the marks on the swingarm and have gave numerous other ways to measure alignment. I personally liked to measure from the center of the swingarm pivot bolt to the center of the rear axle.
+1

It seems to me that this would require some severe problems in order to be inaccurate, like a bent swingarm or some other rare event. It still depends upon the proper use of a tape measure or yardstick, which some people have issues with, so measure the distance and recheck it 8 more times.

The Spin Doctor

However, after about 10-15 minutes, I notice the front sprocket is making alot of noise. The tinny high-pitched chain noise only comes up when I'm using throttle. When I'm coasting, engine breaking, or using the clutch, I don't hear a thing.
You sure you're not hearing the primary drive whine from inside the transmission?

Chucker

I have the same sound on mine and it started before I ever adjusted the chain. I believe it's the chain touching the plastic guides. I hear it as soon as I swing my left knee out from the bike. It's more of a buzzing than a whine.

damnusernames

@Chucker

Got the exact same problem... :-(

noise is very obvious when sticking left knee out and only under throttle.

have you yet figured out what it was (or anyone of you)?

Weird thing, seems like it is only under load as the noise won't be heard when on a stand (I know it is dangerous, but most likely less than loosing parts of my bike while riding cause of an unidentified problem....)

A hint of a solution previously provided seemed interesting; chain against plastic....the added tension of throttle vs cruise idling probably moves the chain slightly upward....if that is the cause though, I do not see, else than removing plastic how it could be fixed...

Adroit

I also have this same issue, I actually first noticed it when I was going between cars or making left turns.. it's like if the sound has something to bounce off I can hear it more or something. I can also hear it when I stick my left leg out, but normal riding I don't hear it too much. I've put it in gear while on the center stand and it looks like the chain has a slight side to side wobble that is causing the sound. Is this normal or should I be checking my alignment?

Y

yellowfz

Clicking or popping is a bad thing to hear from a chain , chains make noise , nature of the beast , gear boxes make a noise as well . I use a tool I made to align the wheel in the swingarm , centered wheel in swingarm is perfect chain alignment . The stock adjuster is notorious for not being accurate , next time you have the axle bolt loose you can see that the adjuster is very sloppy on the axle bolt and can be off one line or more on the swingarm scale . Chains will drift side to side a little , they are not exactly fitted to the sprocket width .

Roaddawg

Adjust your chain properly and wax it. If you still hear the chain noise....well, its a CHAIN...They make some noise!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
This bike has a very noisy chain.