Chain lenghts q.

2wheelie

I was about to order a new the chain, but than I got stock at the different lenghths they have. There're so many different ones from 84 to 120 links. What is the lenghths of our bike's chain really is?? Currently it's stock with +1 tooth in front sprocket.
Thanks.

JSP

Super Moderator
I believe it is 118 links...

If you cannot get that exactly, get the next size up and cut to length.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

JSP

Super Moderator
I believe it is 520 O-ring correct me if I'm wrong. What is a difference between O and X ring?

Correct. X-Ring is just another tiype of O-ring setup. Supposed to be better, but with proper chain maintenance I doubt its noticeable. I wouldnt spend the extra money on it.

JSP

Super Moderator
They are wrong... It IS a 520 already. The R6 is a 525 chain. The FZ6 has a 530 i believe. Not sure where they are getting 532 from. Possibly the older R6 maybe.

But dont worry, you have a 520 chain.

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Ok, thanks. I think so too. Will get home and count the lenghts.
And your chain should say right on it 520... At least on my last bike the chain was stamped with what it was. I have not looked at this one hard enough.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Yeah. The specs in the back of the book say #520 for the chain. The retailers that said otherwise are smoking something, or don't know the bike.
Or just trying to sell him on a "conversion" kit. Lots of R6 guys convert to 520. So would be different sprockets and chain. Would suck to find out you already have what you thought you were converting to...

2wheelie

Yeah, it is 520 118 links. As for the O or X-ring I have to decide since I do unpaved or gravel roads on occasions, so maybe the X is more suitable for it...duno.

2wheelie

Another thing I just thought about. Does it come solid, or I will have to connect it. I looked at the bike and I don't see anything in the way of taking old out and putting the new up. Is it the case? I know that other bikes have the frame in a way so you have to separate the links.

JSP

Super Moderator
You need a chain breaker for your existing chain, unless you just cut it off with a dremel (what I did). Then you need a riveting tool to put the new chain together after you put it through your bike. Some come with a master link clip which I will never trust.