Chain issues

pilninggas

Was out last weekend and when we stopped i noticed the chain had a kink in it - it looked like a tight-spot. Any how had a closer look and could see that the o-ring was coming out! now i've been riding for 16 years and never seen anything like that. Also changed a lot of o-ring chains (i also have a tdm850 and an fzr1000), and can't see how it can happen (aside from manufacturing flaws).

Just went to the local yamaha dealer and they have photographed it and will be logging a warranty claim when their warranty administrator returns from the USA (stuck out there due to the ash cloud!).

The mechanic said usually Yamaha honour warranty claims, but i did agree it will be hard to see in a photo.

will wait and see:rolleyes:

JSP

Super Moderator
If you have kept up on cleaning and lubing the chain, then yeah, could just be a bad o-ring or something... Seems rare, but don't see it as impossible.

pilninggas

just a follow-up. I put in a warranty claim when i first posted. The local yamaha dealer, said yamaha were not keen to give it the green light. Meanwhile the chain has lost loads of o-rings and has become dangerous. Today i decided enough-is-enough and went and bought a new chain.

I will however be pursuing this with yamaha UK, as the failure is catastrophic, dangerous and not what should be expected at 3500 miles.

total pain as a new chain was £68 :mad:

Barkwindjammer

Thats a pretty shocking stance from your dealership Mervin-but sadly all too common these days, once they,ve got your 'hard earned' they dont want to know, you should post this around other forums you use and get the word around, this could be as catastrophic as the Toyota safety issues, a chain break can cause the rear wheel to lock up and loss of control as you well know, I've seen pics of swing arms almost cut through-lets spread the word !:eek:

pilninggas

the local dealer have done nothing wrong - infact they have been helpful. Yamaha UK have yet to decide if they will honour this; indications suggested that they will not as chains are not covered. This is madness though, as i have been using a scottoiler and the failure is catastrophic. The O.E. is D.I.D. and i think this maybe a faulty batch.

My real annoyance is that there is no sense of urgency, so i am out of pocket as i need the bike. i will be photographing the chain on the weekend (it is now off of the bike) and emailing both yamaha UK and MCN with regard to this.

danbrink

Hi All,

my chain seems exceptionally noisy - this is my first big bike so not sure what the standard level of noise should be from the chain - has anyone else noticed this?

Bit worried by pilninggas' experience above and as far as I can tell I don't seem to have the o-ring problem as him but am worried my chain could be from the same batch.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Dan

matt_not_andrew

I have the exact same problem on my 2010 (2009 bike though) Diversion with 2k on the clock. I took it back to Brackley Yamaha in Northants and they said they'd try a warranty claim although they weren't sure it would be accepted. I'm still waiting for a reply 1 week on.

Mine had about 3 or 4 of the O rings coming out as if the side plates on the chain were too tight (like when you overtighten the soft link but these were no where near the soft rivet link). The dealer initially said it was likely to be caused by an over tight chain but I run a scottoiler too and it's always well lubed. I also pointed out that unless they tightened the chain at the first 600 mile service then it hadn't been adjusted as I haven't had to.

Could you let me know the name of your dealer so I can pass it on to mine. It sounds like a bad batch of chains to me or an older batch with perished o rings or something.

drone77

Hmm, I've had this issue also.
2009 bike, has 7k miles on it and completely bust about 50% of the oring seals.
(Run a scottoiler also)

For future reference:
Having replaced the chain it's gone and done a few (3 or so) in the new one also. Looks like the sprockets may have gone thanks to the chain, this time I'll make sure to replace the damn sprockets too... this is getting expensive

matt_not_andrew

Good news on the chain front - I just spoke with my dealer this morning and Yamaha UK are honouring the claim. They have a replacement chain ready for me to pick up. I wasn't expecting them to honour it so it's a nice surprise.