Chain Guard

GF_Playa

anyone have any problems or past experiences riding without a chain guard? i wanna remove mine to open the bike up a bit but dont wanna get anything caught in it

Roaddawg

I think you could be opening up a can of worms on that one. First, your gonna get a lot more "fling" from your chain all over your pants and the rest of the bikes left side. Second, unless your riding in tight fitting pants, you might get them caught in the chain a lot easier. All IMO of course.

streetmaster

I think you could be opening up a can of worms on that one. First, your gonna get a lot more "fling" from your chain all over your pants and the rest of the bikes left side. Second, unless your riding in tight fitting pants, you might get them caught in the chain a lot easier. All IMO of course.
Exactly. Even forgetting the mess everywhere, The danger factor of something getting caught in the chain is just too high.
Imagine pants getting caught between the chain & sprocket & draging your leg towards those fast spinning teeth!!

MikeN02

Exactly. Even forgetting the mess everywhere, The danger factor of something getting caught in the chain is just too high.
Imagine pants getting caught between the chain & sprocket & draging your leg towards those fast spinning teeth!!
Like a rapist.

I've had my shirt entangled in my rear brakes, not a pretty sight.

gearhead

Like a rapist.

I've had my shirt entangled in my rear brakes, not a pretty sight.
I have a feeling that I really should not ask this, but how the F#@& does one get their shirt entangled in the rear brake without revealing a very comprising story of lewd and illicit behavior involving their bike and various parts of one's anatomy that are usually not in danger of contact with a motorcycle. It's a damn good looking bike, but it's not THAT attractive- even after a few beers...

Let's not forget the "Like a rapist." part either.

Please tell.

Last edited:

MikeN02

I have a feeling that I really should not ask this, but how the F#@& does one get their shirt entangled in the rear brake without revealing a very comprising story of lewd and illicit behavior involving their bike and various parts of one's anatomy that are usually not in danger of contact with a motorcycle. It's a damn good looking bike, but it's not THAT attractive- even after a few beers...

Please tell.
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f38/shes-loving-me-too-much-18610/

Tore my shirt apart!

matt_not_andrew

This is a difficult one for me to answer because I ride both road bikes and off road dirt bikes, the latter of which don't have chain guards to prevent mud buildup.

The difference being that you tend to be travelling at a slower speed on a dirtbike (but still fast enough to do some damage) and don't tend to take pillions. Without checking my Traffic Officers Companion book, I think in the UK you need a rear chain guard if your bike has rear footpegs but I might be wrong.

If you want to make a cosmetic mod, try swapping the plastic mudguard for a metal or carbon one instead. You might be able to get one with a built in rear hugger and it'll change the look of the bike at the rear.

Roaddawg

Please tell.
:rof::rof::rof::rof::rof:

bmw675

i wouldn't take it off.
I just got my jeans caught in mine last week, even with the chain guard.
tore off the 'hem' and made me off balanced a bit.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't been "chain raped" as some others have.... :eek:

However, I do occasionally get grease and grime on my pant legs from them coming in contact with the chain. When I get some free time, I will see about fabbing up some aluminum or something to extend farther forward to cover more of the chain.

bmw675

MikeN02

Interesting license plate mount...never seen that type on a sport bike before.
When I rode with 200+ bikes on daytona I saw that for the first time, then the same position but horizontal, and even some bikes jammed it deep within the tail so the tire covers it...

I'd say it's not worth it with dealing with the cops.

Detrich

i was looking at my chain guard today, and I noticed that the inside bolt is missing. So, it wiggles a bit. :(

Does anyone know the length and size of this bolt and whether it requires a nut? I've been looking on Motorcycle Parts, Motorcycle Accessories and cant seem to find the right schematic for it.

is the chain guard called something else?

I posted a pix here to try to show what I'm talking about. On the inside of the chain guard, there are 2 holes- one for the chain guard itself, and one on the frame where a bolt goes thru to fasten it down. That's the bolt I'm missing and don't know the size to...

Last edited:

Detrich

Oh wait, I found it in this schematic. It's item number 16...

It's actually a rivet assembly...

(7211189-001)
RIVET,SPEC'L SHAPE

Part ordered. Damn, shipping costs more than the part! T_T

Last edited:

Spunky99

I use the Dupont Teflon chain lube spray.
I have zero fling from the chain.
I also installed the rear hugger from Puig and had to remove the chainguard because the hugger comes with one molded in......