Center stand vs rear stand

What do you have

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jfont

I looked around and didn't see any on the forum addressing my questions.

So what are the benefits of having a center stand instead of a rear stand? Should I have both? Can you still use a A)triple tree and B) regular front axle stand while the bike is on the center stand?

Also, the pros/cons of the two different methods to lift the rear end. I imagine having no weight on the rear tire is a plus in some cases but what cases would that be in?

Your help would be much appreciated.:)

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

Before I installed my exhuast i had a centre stand -it was great for lubing and adjusting chain or just lifting the bike for stability whilst working on it.

Now it doesn't fit due to my exhaust -bit of pain
I would like to get a rear (race/ paddock) stand at some stage for these purposes

jfont

Is the center stand any less stable then a rear stand?

DragonBlu

I am pretty sure this has been discussed, but here's my take on it. I think the center-stand is more stable than putting a stand on either front or back. I personally have a center stand and a front stand. Adjusted properly I can raise front and rear wheels and do when I am not riding the bike. I can grease and clean the chain and both wheels and check air before I ride or after. Happy riding!

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

rhnatyk

I have the SW-Motech centerstand and wouldn't want a bike without it. Maintenance is a snap and the bike takes up less room in the garage. I also use it when I fill up with gas to get the tank completely full.

sammy56

I strongly recomend both!
If you take any trips with your bike, good luck carrying your stand with you...although there are a couple alternatives. Bottom line, center stand works and if on a trip, prop up on center stand and perform chain maintenance.
I always park my bike at home on the center stand and during winter or any period where not riding a lot....is good for the bike to be up!

LB

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Rich007

I bought a center stand and love it. When I store it for the winter it will be on the center stand, oil changes and chain maintenance is super easy and stable. I may do a Marthys exhaust during the winter months or buy a faster better handling bike, not sure yet.

latony007

that sucks

OOPS I mis-voted, I want both, but only have the rear stand.

You really only NEED the rear stand, but both would be very very nice to have.
For winter you need front and rear to get both wheels off the ground for the months of storage so you dont have flat spots on the tires.
It is annoying parking the bike and going to get the rear stand then mount it up. It would be nice to just pull in garage and push down the center stand when need to lube/clean the chain.
If go on long trips 300-500 miles (pending your care routine) you can more easily lubricate the chain when away from home, rather than lube then roll the bike and lube again repeatedly.
That sucks that a lot of you guys have to store it away for the winter. I certainly don't plan on it being unridden long enough to get flat spots on tires and greasing the chain sounds like it could get me dirty, ill have to take it in for that LOL

Rich007

That sucks that a lot of you guys have to store it away for the winter. I certainly don't plan on it being unridden long enough to get flat spots on tires and greasing the chain sounds like it could get me dirty, ill have to take it in for that LOL
Living in Seattle and only 10 miles from work doesn't make it fun to ride in the rain from October to May.

I ride because it is fun not because I like running in and out of traffic or getting superior fuel economy. The best riding in my opinion is dry twisty mountain roads going fast with a group of friends.

Spiff666

like this?

I'm looking to buy a center stand for my 2012 FZ6R, which has the stubby exhaust under the bike frame.

Do you know if your stand will work with my model, and if so, who made your stand?

Thanks.

Spiff

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Spiff666

Thanks.

I have a stock muffler, so the SW-Motech stand you linked to should fit.

I'll buy new or from Marthy.

My other bike is a 1993 Honda 750 Nighthawk, which has a center stand, and when I bought my 2012 FZ6R in April 2013, I instnatly realized how much I missed having a center stand.

Thanks again.

bleedinblue

Elite Member