Cee Bailey 26" windshield has shipped

stevet

As soon as I receive this windshield, install and test drive it I'll write a review. We've been waiting for a touring screen and this one is the first I know of that's available. :)

stevet

26" Cee Bailey windscreen

As soon as I receive this windshield, install and test drive it I'll write a review. We've been waiting for a touring screen and this one is the first I know of that's available. :)
I just came back from a test drive with my new Cee Bailey 26" windscreen. Looks wise it does take away from the sport bike look because the screen is very tall and it has a different shape than what I was expecting. It rises straight up at the top to pass the wind over the rider's head. It does get buffeted around a bit if there is some wind at freeway speed. There is more wind noise than I thought I'd have. The wind itself is lessened but the wind noise at freeway speed is there. Maybe I should wear ear plugs. They would probably take care of my noise issue and I would like the screen better. At first I was concerned on if it would stay attached but after a few miles I felt reasonably sure it was going to stay on. The stock screen looks better but obviously does almost nothing. There is a trade off here. It's not perfect but does help keep the wind off. I can report more as I ride the bike more.

Roaddawg

When u get a chance, could you post a few more pics, like side shots and view from seat? That thing is freaking tall. I wonder what one cut down about 8 inches would do?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

stevet

26" Cee Bailey windscreen

The screen doesn't flop around a lot all the time but it will shake a bit sometimes. It is affected by wind and speed. I agree with you as far as looking weird. It's too tall and too wide. I measured the Yamaha double (about the same as OEM stock) to be 14" hi and 11" wide. The CB screen is 28" high and 19" wide. It will require some cutting and experimentation before it looks right and still offers more wind protection on the bike over stock. I think it has potential in a shorter form. It's just not quite ready for prime time. I would of started with a 22" screen even though I'm 6' tall. I will do more test rides today and also try to get a hold of Joe at CB. They sound like really nice and knowledgeable folks.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

stevet

Thanks Mathy for that tip. I did speak at length with Joe at CB today. He is very knowledgeable on these windscreens and hopefully we can come up with something that is the best for what we're trying to accomplish. The measurement of the CB is at the widest point is 19" and at the top it's 13". They worked on this shield really hard and I think this was the best they could come up with given the time invested. Most of the problem is we have a sport bike windshield and where it attaches at the bottom is very narrow held on with 6 screws. I retest rode the CB windscreen and note that the top of the screen can shake quite a bit over 60-70mph. It does however break the wind quite well. I also reinstalled the Yamaha dbl bbl screen and found it was rock steady and didn't shake at all but of course transfered a lot more wind to the rider. Has anyone tried adding a vent? Hopefully a little more experimentation and we can fine tune this to be what we're striving for.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

sammy56

So I received my 26 inch Cee Bailey's windscreen and I have tested it out. I must say that I love it. Some buffeting no doubt (not much), but I expected some. I wear earplugs all the time and it really did not bother me at all. I took the bike up to 99 mph...well maybe 100 or so :) and it performed great.
I actually sent Joe at CB my stock windscreen last spring for him to use as a guinea pig and mold basis.
Such clean air and no massive wind on the body, so great for touring and it was so relaxing. I really love having the performance of our bike and the added luxury. This is the first large windscreen I have ever ridden with and I just can't say enough!
I will be leaving the large screen on my bike. If I ever desire to put the old double bubble back on, it only takes a minute or two anyway. The new screen came with better hardware, 6 hex screws with rubber washers...much better than the plastic screws!
Anyway, here are some pics....

stevet

My review of the Ceee Bailey 26" Touring windscreen is complete. My first impression after installing this screen was it was too big and spoiled the sporty look of the bike. Upon riding the bike the first time I felt almost like there was a slight parachute effect holding the bike back. The size of the windscreen was blocking a lot of air and that meant there was going to be drag. There was so much pressure on the screen that the 6 small retaining bolts on the fairing were having a hard time keeping the screen steady. The screen effectively blocked the wind but also rocked and stressed the small fairing mountings at the bottom which was evident by lots of vibrations, side to side motion and creaking. It started about 50mph and got worse the faster you rode. While riding at 60mph I could tell by holding my hand just outside the windscreen both above and to the sides that the screen was actually bigger than it needed to be. I started aggressively cutting the screen from the sides and a little from the top. I also tried to round the edges a little to go into a more sporty looking direction. My first cuts improved the looks and diminished the vibration quite a bit and I knew I was on the right track. I again tested on the freeway by using my hand outside of the screen to check where the wind started to block on the sides of my body and helmet. I cut a little more off the sides and feel that this windscreen shaping and cutting project was completed. I am now very satisfied with how it looks and also the screen does a very effective job of blocking only the wind that would be hitting me. I'm really happy with the screen after this mod. The cutting procedure is tricky and the screen does crack easily under the vibration of cutting with a jig saw. The screen stays on the windshield for this procedure. First I covered the screen with blue painters tape front and back. I carefully marked out a pattern and set my jig saw to it's slowest speed with a 18tpi blade. Go very slowly because it cracks easily. Then I sanded the edge with a orbital rotary sander first with 150 then 320 paper. I finished it up with 400 and 600 sand paper for a nice smooth edge. Pull off the tape and hope there are no cracks. Carefully clean and enjoy. I can send Joe at Cee Bailey's the photo and maybe they can make them up this way. They have been great to work with. :D

T

TEACH1212

Cb windshield

I had my made to 20" height, perfect for me. I have two one clear, the other dark gray.