Case Saver

mische42

That would really blow....but no, have never seen anything about that. Not to be the master of the obvious, but I know there is precious little space in there to begin with, especially with a +1 sprocket installed. Prevention can certainly start with good chain maintenance and inspections though!

txjames

Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
He might have done a shitty rivet on it? Or since he cannot remember actually used a master link.?

yfz6r

There is always the possibility of a chain breaking. Also, the chain can shoot left or right.

The most ideal solution besides not breaking is for it to fall onto the road. Chain breaks are extremely rare if replaced when recommended. If they break otherwise, it is probably a manufacturing problem.

I've seen pics of the chain shooting right into the casing, forward like the linked thread, and pics of shredded ankles (tore the leather riding pants, didn't have tall boots) from shooting to the right. That rider was doing 80mph on a fz1. They use 530 chains, whereas ours is a 520, so it was a little heavier.

The chain can go anywhere and body protection is the first concern. I haven't heard of anyone putting a "case saver" to the test. Seems like a good idea if it works.