car suggestions needed

I'll be straight to the point. Need a new car. In ball park of 8k. Looking for fuel efficiency and reliability. Was looking at the vs Passat or jetta TDI. Any have any suggestions. :)

abyss1406

1989 honda, how darE you think of another vehicle. :d

Pinarello Rider

I'll be straight to the point. Need a new car. In ball park of 8k. Looking for fuel efficiency and reliability. Was looking at the vs Passat or jetta TDI. Any have any suggestions. :)
Need more information. Manual? Auto? AWD/FWD/RWD? Wagon? Sedan, vert? Etc. What are you going to use it for? Gonna haul a family around? Need to go to the dump once in a while?

Need more information. Manual? Auto? AWD/FWD/RWD? Wagon? Sedan, vert? Etc. What are you going to use it for? Gonna haul a family around? Need to go to the dump once in a while?
Anything other than a wagon. No I'm 18. College commuting (when its raining of course) and distance drives every month to a military base. I don't care if its fwd. Or rear or both. Manual or auto doesn't matter either. Prefer a manual because they are more reliable.

if you drop 8 on a down and a cheap but new fuel efficient car you would have a brand new high MPG car with a low payment. id consider that
Yea I've thought about it but I don't want a payment. Schools expensive.

abyss1406

xleeb0y13x

For 8 grand the choices are huge. Civics, corollas, scions, aveos ect. That's a good budget for a lot of low displacement high mpg cars.

Cerebus

Love my Mk4 Jetta TDI. It's hard to beat the 50+ mpg it will get on the highway while still giving you plenty of power.

mdgreene2001

get a base model nissan versa. I work for nissan as a tech and those are pretty stout vehicles with good fuel economy.

Love my Mk4 Jetta TDI. It's hard to beat the 50+ mpg it will get on the highway while still giving you plenty of power.
Have you had any problems out of it? How many miles? I'm looking at a 2006 with128,000 for 8,500

Wow those nissans are cheap. I'll look into them more. thanks man!

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member
Last edited:

Chucker

While a diesel is undoubtedly fuel efficient, they are more costly. I would suggest comparing a couple of diesels to sub-compacts and figure out the projected difference in fuel costs. $50/month is only $600/year. You can probably get a gas sub-compact in equal condition to a TDI Jetta for a few thousand $ less. At that point, the fuel savings become secondary. You need to look at total cost of ownership.

+1 on the newer Civic or Corolla.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

mdgreene2001

Being a tech for 6 years for nissan, 2 years for hyundai/suzuki/mitsu and doing used cars for a chevy dealer, and the other dealers i have worked for and seeing the parts prices and what goes bad on numerous cars, if i were to be buying a car, not a truck, i would stay away from mitsu, american, german. personaly if i wanted killer fuel economy and a car that doesnt cost that much to maintain and is reliable and durable and fairly new and inexpensive the versa would be top on the list, and the new 2013 sentra is very nice but starts at twice the price i believe.... really not because i work for them am i trying to sell it on you i just know the car really well and they dont have any major issues. get a base model manual nothin fancy they are right around 8k brand new i believe, maybe a little more im not in sales so im not sure on the price of the new 2013-14 models....

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

Find yourself a clean 1.6L Honda Civic, 1996-2000 generation. You will find one dirt cheap, have an extra $3k to blow on tuition or beer or whatever, and they are super cheap on gas and bulletproof. I bought a 2000 one owner Civic with 300,000km on it for $1500, drove it for another 130,000km over 4 years, taught my wife to drive standard in it, put less than $500 in to maintenance over 4 years, and sold it for $400. Total investment $400 per year plus gas and insurance. It got better fuel mileage than my FZ1 does! There is no better bargain.