Buzzing between 3-4k rpm

Hethrir

My bike is making an buzzing noise at 3000 to 4000 rpm, sounds like a vibration or something rubbing together, anyone else had this?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Next time you are riding, put your hand on the black plastic peice that is over the instrument cluster and see if it goes away.

JSP

Super Moderator
Next time you are riding, put your hand on the black plastic peice that is over the instrument cluster and see if it goes away.
Or grab the windscreen.

frelay

Or grab the windscreen.
In my case, it's the windscreen:mad::banghead: One day, I shook it so hard I almost broke it while in flight! I still did not find a way to kill the noise. Stupid plastic screws... After the winter storage, I will try various options to solve this.

Hethrir

took the screen off today (going to paint it!) and on a lark turned the engine on... voila, no noise... think im gonna get a set of rubber washers and metal screws instead of those plastic P's.O.S. and see what happens.

Also, after looking at the other thread and seeing where the gentleman's bike was vibrating i think ill take a piece of black rubber and try to wedge/hot glue that in their. (either that or ill just use some rubberized hot glue their regardless seeing as itd be easy to pull out if i needed to do any work in that area.

Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

elishatarvin

Get some adhesive backed velcro and put the fuzzy side on the inside of the windscreen where it contacts the fairing. That dampens the buzzing a bit if it's the windscreen. I did this on mine. It's not 100% but it has dampened it a lot. Whatever you do don't replace the stock plastic screws with metal. They're a safety feature. They'll break off in a crash before the windscreen will break and allow it to come off in one piece. If you put metal screws in, the windscreen is more likely to shatter into a bunch of super sharp blade shaped shrapnel that can do a lot of damage to a rider in a crash.

thats some excellent info about the windscreen. i wasnt planning on doing metal screws, but im sure alot of people have/are considering it and that is a great little tid bit

bmw675

i ended up getting a sheet of 1/4" sticky felt pads (like for cabinet doors so they dont close loudly). i put a bunch of them on the black panel thats around the guages.

JSP

Super Moderator
Well... when i say grab the screen, that just tells me where I believe it is. But it most likely is not the screen or its screws... It may be, but in my case it was the part circled in red here. The windscreen just makes these two rub together. I had to open it and put something inside to stop the rubbing. Grabbing the windscreen just stops the vibration down here.

Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
My buzzing comes from the little black piece right above the gauge cluster under the screen.

JSP

Super Moderator
So as you can see, there are a few different places the bike likes to buzz :D.

Hethrir

minor update:

Windshield is now off (and drying with its second coat out of three). took the bike sans-windshield out to lunch and no buzzing at all! definitely have to put screen back on as even going 45-50ish it was windy as all get out, but i have a decent idea of what to do to make buzzing go away. I have (for reasons ive forgotten) a roll of neoprene rubber, going to cut three inch long by 1/2 inch wide strips and put them in between the bolts and washers (the neoprene is thicker than the washers by just a hair). well see what that does when i get to it, too cold to go work for long periods of time right now!

6R Blackout

Plastic Screws

In my case, it's the windscreen:mad::banghead: One day, I shook it so hard I almost broke it while in flight! I still did not find a way to kill the noise. Stupid plastic screws... After the winter storage, I will try various options to solve this.
I was pretty dumbfounded when I realized the windscreen screws were plastic so I looked on ebay and found some aluminum spike bolts that fit perfectly, now I have no problem with vibration with the windscreen. They really work well. I think it is a 5mm thread if I remember correctly, but please don't quote me on that. Anyways you shoould maybe look into that, I only paid 4.99 for a pack of 6 and I bought 3 packs and put the spike bolts on the upper three bolts on the fairing. They look and work really well.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
I was pretty dumbfounded when I realized the windscreen screws were plastic so I looked on ebay and found some aluminum spike bolts that fit perfectly, now I have no problem with vibration with the windscreen. They really work well. I think it is a 5mm thread if I remember correctly, but please don't quote me on that. Anyways you shoould maybe look into that, I only paid 4.99 for a pack of 6 and I bought 3 packs and put the spike bolts on the upper three bolts on the fairing. They look and work really well.

I believe the main reason they use plastic screws is in case you are in an accident, the screws will break off and the windscreen will just get knocked off. If they are metal, then they wont give and it will only be the windscreen that breaks causing sharp shards of plastic that can cause some pretty nasty cuts and punctures as you are flying over the handlebars.

Don't quote me on that and I cannot remember if true, but it sure makes sense to me... ;)