Buying my FZ6r Tuesday,

Melting

I am getting back into riding after a nearly 10 year layoff. I am older now and looking for a more upright comfortable ride but still want some kick. Previously I rode a YZF600.

I think I'm going with a 2011 FZ6r new that I have negotiated (or been suckered into) for $7800 OTD, that price includes AZ tags and 8.8% sales tax. Am I being gullible or is this a fair deal?

I will be purchasing a helmet and gloves, How important is a jacket for protection and what should I be looking at there?

As far as the bike I think I want to immediatly do a fender eliminator and flush turn signals. Is this a decent use of my money or am I being silly.

Looking forward to any input as I did this quickly and am going in tuesday morning to finish the deal unless I hear from some more knowledgeable folks here why this is a bad deal.

Any advice is welcome. Especially if I am missing something obvious.

I'll post pics if it happens, Thanks in advance

Rookasaki

Welcome to the site! :)
The 6R is a great all around bike. It's pretty darn quick and agile. You will enjoy the ergonomics of this bike, very comfortable.

Make sure you get good gloves and a decent jacket... There are tons of different Jacket materials, Textile, Mesh, Leather etc... Leather is the best but not to budget friendly... Just make sure you don't get a cheap jacket. Check the reviews etc... before you do. My opinion, gloves and jacket are just as important as your lid!

I have a nice Shift leather Jacket for hard riding, mild heat etc... When it hits 115 I wear my mesh!

Hope it all works out for ya!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Chevyfazer

Yes a jacket is important ATGATT- all the gear all the time, you might think it will never happen to you but if you do go down a good set of gloves, jacket, pants and boots will save your skin

Bloke

To go atgatt requires trousers and boots too, first thing to hit the ground in a crash is going to be your legs.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Mr Citrus

Depending on what color bike you have(if you care about matching gear) I've got a size large tourmaster pivot 2 jacket you can have.it has a winter liner that is removeable. I got a new jacket, so its yours if you want it, could meet around town someday
Oh, and the color is yellow and black

traverser

7800 otd is a little high, but its your deal. Is it a brand new 11, or is it a 12?

For gear make sure you get stuff that fits with great stitching. I've seena bad stitch give up after a fall. Even Gear manufacturerers miss stuff, dont' believe me check out your closest cycle gear cheap rack.

dekaliber

A brand new 2011 at $7800 OTD is an okay deal -- it depends on what the taxes and fees are in your state. I paid $6225 OTD + $135 for it to be delivered ~100 miles from out of state for a 2010 leftover back in April. Of course I had to pay the tax, title, and registration myself so it ended up being pretty close to $7K.

Don't skimp on quality gear. It's the difference between getting up and walking away and a trip to the hospital. Depending on the climate, it's not a bad idea to get 2 sets -- mesh for those hot days and leather/textile for the cooler ones. Motorcyclegear.com always has good closeouts: Closeouts :: MotorcycleGear.com I'd budget $500 for a quality helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots at the minimum.

I personally think flushmounts compromise too much visibility to be worthwhile, plus the fit isn't really perfect. I agree that the stock turn signals leave a bit to be desired but they didn't bother me enough to get rid of them.

txjames

Elite Member

anson650

Ditto for all the comments on gear.
As for mods... Don't be in too much of a hurry. Makes sure you are going to keep it past the "honeymoon phase". Just ride it. You'll know what to change and when.
Anson

txjames

Elite Member
Last edited:

Melting

Thanks for the advice on the gear, i'll put the jacket on the must get list and hold off on the bike mods until i've ridden awhile. I'm betting from the pricing comments i can probably get some of the protective gear thrown in for that price.

If I do pull the trigger on this Mr Citrus, we probably could meet up for a ride. Looks like we live pretty close to each other.

Thanks again for the comments.

Sent from my iPad

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

roadrat

2012 MSRP for a Raven 6r is $7690, add $676.72 for taxes (8.8%), maybe $200 for shipping and setup, $150 for DMV fees and that would give you $8,716.72 OTD for a 2012. So you're not doin' too bad for a new 2011 at $7800 in my opinion. The only changes to the bike between '11 and '12 are the decals on the fairings.

I have an XL Speed and Strength Call to Arms jacket (black) I could give you a good deal on - it's in great shape if you're interested. Speed & Strength Call To Arms Jacket - RevZilla Was getting ready to put it up for sale anyway.

Welcome to the forum man!!

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

iSpoolin

I have to say I LOVE my Icon ARC jacket. However I am swapping to the A* GPR perforated for my main jacket this year.

Melting

Get 'em to throw in $200 towards gear and it's a great deal.:D
I will. I'm also printing your post and taking it in with me! How could they turn me down.:D

I stink at negotiating, with my luck the young lady that is selling the bike to me is reading this thread. She's awfully pretty, that has got to worth paying a little extra.:surrender:

Thanks again for the many helpful responses.

kevin8198

Elite Member