Buying anothjer one

Btown647

FZ6R Family,

Ive been away from here for too long. I had a 09 FZ6R when I was in high school that I had to part with for family reasons/. 6 years later I want another one.

What are some improvements made on the bikes from the 09 to the 11 or 12 models?

I've been comparing some stats and it looks like the newer bikes actually got slower, at least acceleration wise.

I've also been looking at the R3, why would you stay with the FZ6R over choosing the R3 or R6?

Any helpful wisdom you have is much appreciated, thank you in advance.

xorbe

I think FZ6R 09+ are all the same (save colors). Maybe the rear grab bar changed. The prior FZ6 was faster.

You're asking about three pretty different bikes.

R6 -> committed super sport riding position, 417 lbs 105 whp
FZ6R -> more upright "casual and smooth" sportsbike, 470 lbs 68 whp
R3 -> fun around town, slower on freeway, 368 lbs 37 whp

Might look at FZ-07 also. Naked, torquey 397 lbs 65 whp, but lower revving twin.

I mostly ride around town, and was riding my old N250R more than the 6R, so I sold the 6R and am looking for an R3. 6R was a blast on the freeway though.

Last edited:

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

xorbe

(But to show you I'm a realist, even though I wasn't a fan of the motor in the Ninja 650, the chassis and suspension is BRILLIANT! That damn bike really feels like a more comfortable, more powerful Ninja 250. It feels 100 pounds lighter than the FZ6R. I love the way it handles. If only it had the sound and feel of our I4 it would be a perfect bike! If you want R3 feel with FZ6R power that's your ticket!)
So now I have to examine the N650 a bit more closely.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Drennan57

I like the Ninja but the engine is the least desirable in the class. Sounds terrible, lacking top end, severe vibrations through the pegs and bars.

I like the smoothness of the I4 bikes.

xorbe

I like the Ninja but the engine is the least desirable in the class. Sounds terrible, lacking top end, severe vibrations through the pegs and bars.

I like the smoothness of the I4 bikes.
The 2016 Ninja 650 has been updated specifically for vibration reduction. Honda managed to make their 650 I4 vibrate and buzz.

Btown647

What was the cause of the slow down between the 09 and the 12/14? I searched some 0-60 and 1/4 times and it appears that the bikes got slower.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Superzoom

What was the cause of the slow down between the 09 and the 12/14? I searched some 0-60 and 1/4 times and it appears that the bikes got slower.
Drag strip times depend on the rider, the conditions (road, wind, temp, altitude, etc.), and the exact bike. It's going to change from day to day, and from test to test. There is literally no difference mechanically between model years.

BluePill

I just bought my second new Fizzer. Had to sell my '09 due to a move 2 years ago, and hoped I could get along with just my WR250 Dual Sport. I could not continue without a pure street bike, so I looked at what else is out there. The FZ6R is still the best all around in its class, IMO. I bought a 2015 leftover in January and am really happy to be back in the saddle. The only thing that I have noticed is that the 2015 is actually a bit smoother than my '09. Could be just bike-to-bike variation, or they may have made some change that makes the handle bars less buzzy.

Oh, and try to get a 2015 - The red ones are faster!!!!! :)

I agree with this review: (Although the Honda's dyno graph looks tasty!)

Middleweight Intermediate Sportbike Shootout + Video

Last edited: