Broken bar end nee help pleaseee!!!

b_who

sooo awhile ago i dropped my bike after not looking were my feet were at when i stopped, stepped in a pot hole, caught the edge, rolled my ankle and down i went :(

but anyways its bin about 4 months since that happened but my bike ran fine except with sum scratches and my bar end got scratched up too. just cosmetic damage or so i thought until i was going down the road and my bar end fell out.
had a nice big WTF look on my face headed home and went to put it back on when i noticed the metal around it was the metal used to hold it in and looked inside and saw the it was just clean broken and my question is would these bar ends work as a good fix DRIVEN Bar Ends YAMAHA R6 R1 FZ1 FZ6 FZ6R R6S FZR 600 - eBay (item 250703289364 end time Jan-25-11 13:27:24 PST) or should i just take it to the dealer and see what they can do?
or should i just try to glue that metal piece in ? haha

b_who

Pictures

MikeN02

Driven is a good brand. I'd go with bar end sliders just in case you have another tip over, doesn't hurt to be safe.

My brother's right bar slider fell off, so I took off his right one and loctite it. My new favorite product! Used it on my D ring keychain because it kept falling off and now it doesn't fall off anymore.

b_who

will those driven bar ends work because the threaded metal inside the bar is what broke so there is nothing for my bar end to thread into

i noticed how those bar ends are rubber thats y i was wondering if it would work sense the inside of the bar is broken

MikeN02

will those driven bar ends work because the threaded metal inside the bar is what broke so there is nothing for my bar end to thread into

i noticed how those bar ends are rubber thats y i was wondering if it would work sense the inside of the bar is broken
Ah I see what it is now. Your second post, I can't really see the pictures. I can't remember what the bar ends of the FZ6-R look like. More or likely you can replace the whole bar just for the bar end or find something like a heli-coil to retread it.

b_who

Ah I see what it is now. Your second post, I can't really see the pictures. I can't remember what the bar ends of the FZ6-R look like. More or likely you can replace the whole bar just for the bar end or find something like a heli-coil to retread it.

How dows a heli-coil work?
Is their an article I read about it and figure what out what I need?

MikeN02

How dows a heli-coil work?
Is their an article I read about it and figure what out what I need?
A Heli-Coil kit is basically something that replaces the threading on stripped objects. They're generally stronger than the original and can last longer as well. A common argument is which one is better timeserts (another type of thread repair) or Heli-Coil kits. You would need to measure out the threading or the "bolt" (bar end) thread to see what size threading you need such as M14 or M20 etc.

Here's my thread on when I stripped my oil pan. A common place to use heli-coil is cast iron aluminum stuff such as transmissions for cars, oil pans, engines etc.

Heli-Coil

b_who

A Heli-Coil kit is basically something that replaces the threading on stripped objects. They're generally stronger than the original and can last longer as well. A common argument is which one is better timeserts (another type of thread repair) or Heli-Coil kits. You would need to measure out the threading or the "bolt" (bar end) thread to see what size threading you need such as M14 or M20 etc.

Here's my thread on when I stripped my oil pan. A common place to use heli-coil is cast iron aluminum stuff such as transmissions for cars, oil pans, engines etc.

Heli-Coil
Thank you your are awsome guess its time to do sum research and figure out what I need
Thanks a lot for the help

Road Rubber2009

Hi, why dont you simply drill a hole in the center of the threaded end {inside the bar},then, unscrew it with an easy-out.
It should be very easy as there is no load on the part you want to remove.
estimated time : under 5 minutes

your welcome

SSgtBaarnes

Looks like some pretty good suggestions from many. I would strongly urge you not to glue them in place, this would cause an issue when it comes time to change the grips.

Spunky99

b who,

I bought these bar ends and they don't fit inside the threaded insert inside the ends of the handlebars. I have been trying to figure out how to remove the threaded insert without using a chisel and a big hammer or replacing the handlebars. So if the insert came out on one end, the Driven unit will fit but what about the other side?
The rubber expands to hold in the Driven bar end but even unexpanded is too big a diameter to fit with the insert so you end up with a mismatched set of bar ends. Since the stock Yamaha bar ends need the threaded insert to screw into, they won't work for you either on the side where the insert is gone.
You are basically effed unless you can remove the insert cleanly from the other side and install the Driven ends.

I don't know why Yamaha decided to make the bar ends this way. Just dumb!