Brakes Squeak

6R Blackout

Ok so recently I have noticed at low very speeds ( 10-0 mph) my brakes squeak when I use my front brakes. If I pull them in hard they dont squeak but if I just hardly pull on them just to slow down a little they squeak! I am not concerned they will fail but it is an annoying sound that if I can get rid of I would like to. If anyone can give me a remedy for this annoying problem I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks to all.:jawdrop:

bakkenlab

i have the same problem and the only thing i could think of is the type of weather that causes it... when its cold mine tend to squeak in low speeds as well. And also when it rains out and i forget to whip my discs off they will become squeaky. I dont know the exact cause or when exactly it does it, but over time mine comes and goes...

JSP

Super Moderator
How many miles on your bike? How much pad is left?

BTW... how ya been?

CrazyCawi

I have the same thing and it is making me nervous. I have 7400 on mine...original pads

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I'm coming up on 14K miles with the original pads and mine squeak as well. I know that when my cars pads started to squeak, it was because the pads started to come loose from the calipers and just needed to have some blue goo spread on the back of the pad to keep them tight in the calipers. I don't know if the same can be said for motorcycle pads... :don'tknow:

gizmogirl

You are going to love this! You need to work your brakes harder!! My husband just asked this question at the Yamaha Dealer last week and that was their answer.
Normal driving will allow a build up on the rotors and pads....glazing... that needs a lot of heat to remove. So do not worry, keep things clean and use your brakes a bit more from time to time and the squeaking will stop until the husband wants a new toy for his bike!!:steve:
:canada:

bakkenlab

You are going to love this! You need to work your brakes harder!! My husband just asked this question at the Yamaha Dealer last week and that was their answer.
Normal driving will allow a build up on the rotors and pads....glazing... that needs a lot of heat to remove. So do not worry, keep things clean and use your brakes a bit more from time to time and the squeaking will stop until the husband wants a new toy for his bike!!:steve:
:canada:
i could see this being a solution, cuz whenever i ride on hot days the breaks never squeak, but when its cold or they haven't warmed up yet, thats when they start doing it. and i only have 3500 miles on my bike as well, so i doubt its the pads

See red

mice squeak too. No worries

I do have one problem with the glazing theory, You will glaze your brakes when you over cook them. I have done this several times at the track with my car. The bike has harder pads, and has cross drilled rotors, the harder pads resist fading and will bite harder when heated, the rotors shed heat faster while removing a micro film off the pad to keep the galzing from occuring.

Yes, you need to get on the brakes a little harder to heat them, but if you have blue shiny rotors you have issues..... THAT is what a glazed rotor will look like.

Deanohh

Laquer thinner is a good de-greaser. Laquer thinner and a rag to wipe the rotors and remove contaminants that might be making them squeak. You'll get a lot of black stuff on the rag and no squeak.

Tmak73

Yep what you normally do for cars with this problem is slam on them nice and hard and it heats them up and gets that "glaze" off. I would be really careful if you plan on trying this on the bike though. Mine squeak as well and it is annoying but oh well it's not the end of the world.. or is it? haha couldn't resist sorry

6R Blackout

jokerX

Generally, at least in an automotive application, to rid yourself of the slow speed squeak that is usually caused from glazed pads and rotors, you should scuff both the pads and the rotors with sandpaper. 100 grit works fine. Make sure to lay the paper on a level surface to evenly sand the pads. I have a rotor hone that fits in a drill to scuff the rotors, but sandpaper will work for that as well. Ensure the pads are rinsed with brake cleaner and the rotors are washed with warm soapy water. Clean and lube slide pins and contact points with hi temp silicone lube during reassembly. Or try rinsing the entire assembly on the bike with brake clean and hope for the best :) Glazing is usually caused from heat, so I can't say for sure that hard brake application will clean it up. It might with a really aggressive pad if the pad itself is not too glazed yet.