Bought a FZ6R, some noob questions

ubaidk23

Hey all,

Just got an FZ6R yesterday. 2009, 650 miles. So far I'm loving it :) I'm coming from a Rebel 250 so I'm still blown away by how powerful it is. The lower 4 gears just beg me for throttle, can't stop smiling.

Just had a few noob questions:

1. What maintenance should I keep an eye out for? It's 650 miles so I'm guessing nothing needs to be changed right now but what should I be waiting for

2. The front brakes make a weird sound when engaged; sounds kind of like a soft whinning noise. It doesn't sound really bad but it does seem unusual. Does anyone have experience with this or is this normal?

3. Any recommendations for touch up paint? Theres a small scuff on the crankcase and the fender (2009 blue), anyone have any tips on which paint they used. It's really not a big deal but the bike is so perfect it stands out. Atleast to me :)

Thanks

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Fraze

Never guess nothing needs to be done...you never know ;)

From a Rebel to a 6R would be an interesting transition ... ~1.5x the weight, different riding position, and noticably faster. To echo leem00, I would change the oil (I do fresh fluid changes with any new vehicle I get just so I know its done). Did you get it private or from a dealer? How much wear do the front pads have? ie: whats the wear indicator line at? Has it been sitting long? How does the brake lever feel? I had a bike I bought (not my 6r) and the brakes "squeaked" a bit. They still had about 50% but after I did some hard braking on and off they loosened up and the noises went away. But if you are unsure and/or uncomfortable, get it in for a once over. Peace of mind if nothing else.

Random Youtube touch up video for reference ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwWMn0H-TCI

Last edited:

Rumpig

Lube the chain, 7 year old tyres might be going hard, might pay to check them and might be worth draining the fuel tank completely and starting with fresh fuel.

ubaidk23

Thanks all for the suggestions, really appreciate it.

@Leem00, did the oil change!

@Fraze, yes the transition is quite different. This feels like a rocket while that felt more like a donkey. Not to bash on the rebel- it was a great learning bike and even now I do miss how small and light it was- but the FZ6R is just in another league.

I will probably end up getting the brakes checked out for peace of mind. I'm not too familiar with how all that works.

I ordered the PJ1 engine paint in the video you linked, lets see how it turns out.

@Rumpig, drained the fuel tank and started fresh! Tires look alright to me, but you are right, should get them checked. Any suggestions for which lube works well with the FZ6R, I haven't lubed a chain since I had a bicycle and that was with WD40 :)

@Drennan57 its 650 miles so more like 1050 km but yes, still terrible. I got 650 miles on the rebel in 2 months, can't imagine why people love garage queens.

Thanks all!

Bert-Aus

At that age and so few miles, change ALL fluids.
By assumption the brake pads should be fine maybe just some rust/ dust between pad or disc. But keep in mind the brakes should drag ever so slightly, which does give a scrapping sort of sound, in which case they're fine

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

BluePill

The front brake noise is normal on FZ6R fronts. Had it on both of mine. Because of the low miles it may be worse than normal due to a lot of sitting. Use both front and rear brakes a bit more than necessary for the first 50KM or so to clean the pads and rotors.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member
Last edited: