Blue Tooth for your helmet

SiGPiGomer

Does anyone know of a good blue tooth for a helmet. I would like to get one that I can take calls on when going down the road. But I would also like to be able to listen to music too. I have a Full Face helmet, and I have found a few online, but dont know whats good and whats not. Any opinions?:confused:

Funkmaxtor

I have the scala rider and the scala rider q2 set. They are pretty much the same with the exception that the set has two headsets and mics. I love it. I use it to listen to music on those long commutes (boring rides) and use to answer calls. When riding with a passenger I use to talk to her. I would recommend this set to anyone.

One note. DO NOT talk on the phone while riding. I answer and immediately pull over. Talking while riding is a guarantee to tank it!

SiGPiGomer

How do you like you Oneal helmet. Do you get a lot of road noise when listening to music or on the phone. When i use my head phones on my current helmet, I get so much road noise I cant hear it. Also how is the periphal vision on that helmet. Looks a little restricted.

neshi

I use the cardio system that came with my tomtom!

atomoverride

How do you like you Oneal helmet. Do you get a lot of road noise when listening to music or on the phone. When i use my head phones on my current helmet, I get so much road noise I cant hear it. Also how is the periphal vision on that helmet. Looks a little restricted.
I'll be straight to the point. Road noise, you can hear. But it covers the lower part of the helmet and your chin.

Talking helmet to helmet is off the charts good. I get about 4 hours of talk with my cousin when we go on rides. Cruizing to work on the 405 with my bluetooth on and my music playing off my iphone is GREAT. taking calls is good, but I usualy dont bother taking them.

All in all good helmet, I wish there was a bluetooth option availble on a akari one.

atomoverride

Heres an update on my helmet:

- Positives: Still going strong, love the helmet but it range is kinda the issue when doing helmet to helmet. Its about a block to two blocks worth of range.

I have been toying around with just using the phone to call him with his phone / helmet since we are both on AT&T and get free mobile to mobile. That would increase the range to whatever since we would be using cell service. Talk time would be about the same. How to handle drop calls? well if you use an iphone or windows mobile device, you can just setup voice dialing that way you can click your button on the helmet and say CALL so and so.

Battery charge is great for me, I didnt charge it for 3 months and it kept working for a full 2 hours.

Another note, if your alone and have a gps enabled phone you could use tomtom or navigon (I have an iPhone and have navigon) and it will give you voice turn by turn. Kinda handy when you dont know your way around.

- Negitives: Battery shananagins. Seems my helmet's battery is fine. But my cousin has one that always dies quicker than mine. Maybe a defect? We might order 2nd batteries to combat this.

The helmet presses on the front part of the top of my head. Maybe I have not broken it in yet, or its designed that way. I am thinking maybe I can just push my hand up there and force a imprint? What do you guys think?

JonKerr

Elite Member

Bikegirl88

I use the scala rider q2.

Good unit with excellent voice quality.

ajkewler

I bought the scala q2 multi set from newenough since they were discounted almost 100 for two units. The sound quality is good so far but sometimes its a bit hard to hear on the freeway. My gytr exhaust is partly to blame for the problem with sound quality.

The fm radio feature on it is great and the intercom feature is pretty nice too. I think there's a new generation of this unit that supports greater distances for the intercom. From what I've read about the scala Q2 the running time is about 9 hours but I've yet to run into a incident where it ran out of battery.

Answering the phone is pretty nice too as all I need to do is blow on the mic to answer incoming calls. I was torn between the blueant and the scala q2 but the discounted multiset was what sealed the deal for me.

husker525

I went with the Scala Q2 and am very happy with it. I have had no complaints with voice quality, sound quality or communication. I have one small issue with plugging in my Ipod, the voice or singing sounds very distant, and is overpowered by the music. I tried changing the EQ settings on my Ipod with no real change. I think I have something not just quite right, but am still sorting it out. I have not played with it too much since my bike is still in pieces as of today.....

ajkewler

I went with the Scala Q2 and am very happy with it. I have had no complaints with voice quality, sound quality or communication. I have one small issue with plugging in my Ipod, the voice or singing sounds very distant, and is overpowered by the music. I tried changing the EQ settings on my Ipod with no real change. I think I have something not just quite right, but am still sorting it out. I have not played with it too much since my bike is still in pieces as of today.....
I read a while ago that there was a mod where you can change the speakers on the unit itself. I think it was to address the sound issue when listening to ipods and other mp3 players.
Scala Q2 MOD - ADVrider

also here too http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442304

Last edited:

ajkewler

What sort of helmet do you have? I was wondering how this would work with a full face helmet.

Thanks
I got my scala Q2 easily installed on my shoei x-11, but had a bit of a hard time putting it into my girl's shoei rf-1000. the problem was finding a place to tuck the wire under to hide it. It seems like the x-12 has a lot of space for you to hide the wires too. Oh and these are all full face helmets, for sure the x-11 is very easy to install it onto.