Bike Storage, Wheels good for how long?

MikeN02

I know that some of you guys up north put away the bikes when winter comes along but down here it doesn't snow so I ride all year long.

Now I'm wondering since I'm in repair phase of my bike I haven't rode it for about a month. How long is the tire good for since I don't have a front stand?

Heard that you should put the bike on the stand if it's going to be in storage for a long time since it'll create flat spots on your tire.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

fz6rwolf

I've always just aired tires slightly more than normal, throw cover over since no garage, try to ride few miles each month when temp is tolerable and no ice and never had a problem.

CDN6R

I guess Mike that you would consider that I live on the Canadian Tundra :justkidding: So I will tell you what I do for winter. I don't ride my bike at all, I just make sure that the tires are properly inflated,fill up the gas tank and Sta-Bil and one or twice a week move the bike around. I should probably put a little oil in the cylinders though. Laurie

creggur

Uno979 is dead-on. Inflate the tires to the max psi on the sidewall and they'll be fine. At that pressure the bike doesn't weigh enough to flat spot the tires at all...