Bike randomly stalled..wont turn over

woody

I own a 1997 Honda CBR600 and have owned it for a little over a year now. Im not new to riding, but Im not incredibly knowledgeable on the mechanics of my bike unfortunately. Situation is, my bike has been running great since Ive owned it, and the previous owner was an older man who babied it and did all of the maintenance requirements in a timely manner. Today, I had been riding it for a solid ten minutes or so, and upon pulling up to a red light, it had an odd sputter to its idle, as if it was struggling to stay alive. I gave it a little throttle and held it, ignoring it until might light turned green. As soon as I attempted to take off, it died immediately. Then refused to restart, hardly even giving me a crank when I attempted to restart it. I thought it may be the battery, as I start it a couple of times a day, as I am a college student and use it frequently to get around class to class, but I cant imagine that shutting the bike off while its running, and its hasnt given me trouble yet starting until now.
Help?? Suggestions?
Thanks

MikeN02

I own a 1997 Honda CBR600 and have owned it for a little over a year now. Im not new to riding, but Im not incredibly knowledgeable on the mechanics of my bike unfortunately. Situation is, my bike has been running great since Ive owned it, and the previous owner was an older man who babied it and did all of the maintenance requirements in a timely manner. Today, I had been riding it for a solid ten minutes or so, and upon pulling up to a red light, it had an odd sputter to its idle, as if it was struggling to stay alive. I gave it a little throttle and held it, ignoring it until might light turned green. As soon as I attempted to take off, it died immediately. Then refused to restart, hardly even giving me a crank when I attempted to restart it. I thought it may be the battery, as I start it a couple of times a day, as I am a college student and use it frequently to get around class to class, but I cant imagine that shutting the bike off while its running, and its hasnt given me trouble yet starting until now.
Help?? Suggestions?
Thanks
First, I believe you're on the wrong forum. Especially for a first post. Have you checked the CBR forum?

Second, I'm thinking it has carbs since it's a 97. If that's the case I need some info. How long has it been since you stopped riding it? Did you do any maintenance on it? How many miles are on it?

Sounds to me like a carb problem. You need to clean your carbs/jets. I had this happen when I owned a Ninja EX500 with carbs, it would die at the lights or wouldn't idle. Only way for me to get home was to ride it with the choke on but that's bad because it'll flood the bike with fuel.

Clean the carbs, and Sync them (if necessary).

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

woody

As far as the forum and site, I didnt really care which one I was on honestly. Figured all riders would be able to help out a fellow rider. Oh, and Hondas are good bikes douche lol. I actually went back out and took a long hard look at it, and noticed that a wire was wedged in between a piece of metal and the radiator which was pretty damn hot. I unwedged it, and had to push start it, but she fired right up after that and seemed to run pretty smooth. Still dont know if I should trust it though, and misinterpret another hidden problem and get stranded. I feel like that cant be all though, because the battery is depleted and I know I didnt try to restart it too many times, so maybe a new battery is in order.
As far as background info on the bike, I ride it every single day, usually fire it up at least twice a day as I take it from class to class. This just happened today, so its been maybe an hour since I stopped riding. It has about 16K on it, and the previous owner said that he cleaned the carbs just before he sold it to me, roughly a year ago. Regular oil change and general inspection is all that I have done since I owned it.

Thanks for the replies all

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member