Bike for wifey

gearhead

My better half has been seeing how much fun I have and is considering getting into the maniacle world of motorcycling. I've been looking, and it seems that Kawasaki is the only manufacturer that actually makes bikes truely geared for newbies. The 250 and 500 "Ninja" all seem like great starter bikes. Are there other choices? I can find these used all day long for $2000 with less than 5k miles. It's amazing. So, the question is, are there other bike choices that are as good or better? Street riding only for a rider who is 5'3". Thanks all.

flyingminno

Honda has the 250 Rebel. Not too sure about other brands now, unless a dual-sport interests you. As far as slightly older bikes, the selection of small displacement entries increases.

FitZ6R

Great for her!! :thumbup:

Yeah, those two Kaws are probably the best options. There's also the Honda Nighthawk CB250, a retro-styled standard, but it's front drum brake is too retro for my taste.

As I recall, there's at least one forum member who started on a Ninja 250 - maybe she (I'm pretty sure it was she) will chime in. As one other data point, I rode cross country years ago with a guy on an EX500 (aka Ninja), and he he no problems keeping up.

More options here: The Short Bike List (SBL), but they're mostly cruisers.

Obligatory MSF plug: I'm sure you can teach her a lot, but I'd still strongly recommend some formal training. And I know if it was my wife, she'd much rather accept advice from a perfect stranger than from me! :D

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Bigevildoer

My better half has been seeing how much fun I have and is considering getting into the maniacle world of motorcycling. I've been looking, and it seems that Kawasaki is the only manufacturer that actually makes bikes truely geared for newbies. The 250 and 500 "Ninja" all seem like great starter bikes. Are there other choices? I can find these used all day long for $2000 with less than 5k miles. It's amazing. So, the question is, are there other bike choices that are as good or better? Street riding only for a rider who is 5'3". Thanks all.
Well, you can probably find a Buell Blast really cheap now... probably for around $3K brand new at a dealer with any luck... 38 horsepower, naked style... she'd probably want a wind screen put on though.

NYGirl

Why not a FZ6R?

I bought one for my first bike, and I lived to tell about it!
True, I need the Roaring Toyz lowering link to make it my height, but $200 for it and the shorter kickstand is well worth it.
:)

joloy133

Kawasaki also makes the er6-n. At the motorcycle shows, plenty of ladies try on the different bikes. If money is not an issue, the Ducati might be right. Those shows are just around the corner, if you really want a partner get her something that stirs her up......(?) !

GoGreen09

I have a couple of friends that migrated towards the Ninja 250. They said that it "fit" the best before lowering, then it was just perfect after. Although I've seen a couple of female riders that had SV650 and they had no complaints. Almost forgot, my friends also put a premium on the looks first before anything else... that alone may limit your choices.:D

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
My wife started out on a Suzuki Boulevard S40 then moved to the V Star 650 custom but wasn't really happy with the corners on the cruiser. So, we put her on the FZ6R and installed the Roaring Toyz lowering link and she is VERY happy with it! Now she understands and LOVES corners! :D

artkatz111

I got my daughter a Ninja 250 for her first bike when she was 17. It was a good choice for her. It fit her well, and it didn't take off from underneath her. I was afraid of an eager 17 year old on a motorcycle, but it didn't have enough power for her to get into too much trouble. It was also light enough for her to pick up herself which was very good because she laid the bike down (although slowly and gently) several times during the learning process. We were happy with it. We've since sold it to another new rider.

JonKerr

Elite Member

joloy133

I'm taking my wife to the International Motorcycle Show in Long Beach next month. I'm a little scared that she's going to want a bike of her own. Not that I don't want her to ride, but she's going to want something brand new and expensive the way she is. She's not going to want a used bike.
But.......it would be for the most important person in the world.......right?

bsoder

My wife decided to take up riding this year and she went with a Ninja 250. I wasn't too thrilled with her buying new but that's what she wanted. I rode it for a while before getting the FZ6R and had plenty of fun on it. It's a good bike that has ample power to keep up with traffic but not too much to get yourself in trouble while learning. We ride together occasionally and as long as I go a little easy on the throttle she has no trouble keeping up.

JonKerr

Elite Member
F

FZ6Rgurl

I fell in love with my FZ6R cause I thought it was "cute" and pretty much baddass :p. The only thing cute on my bike is the pink flames. But I've pretty much turned it into a badass bike. This is my VERY first bike. Never been on one before in my life. I chose a 600 because I thought I could handle it. It's a lot of fun. The power has gotten me out of some sticky situations though. So the power of the bike does come in handy. I'm 22 and I am pretty much a speed-freak on my bike, and I can handle my bike very well. You just have to get used to the throttle and the restrictions of the bike. That's my 2-cents.

joloy133

Damn right! She's the best. Not many women would put up with me and my many hobbies and be happy that I have things I'm passionate about. I'm one lucky man. And I got her early. We've been together 14 years, since our Junior year in high school. :thumbup:

I'd love for her to get a bike and come enjoy my favorite thing to do. That's why I'm teaching her to ride on the back of the bike tomorrow morning. It's just that she has expensive taste. So instead of a $3000 Ninja 250, she'd fall in love with a $10,000 Ducati or something because "it's cute!" :eek:
Congrats, I've got 25+ years. White Ducati Monster.........2 cool.;)