Bike Down = New Project for winter

Andezel

So I was riding the twisities this last weekend and was coming down Deer Creek Canyon when I hit some gravel in a corner. I didn't even have time to think before I was off the side of the road and flying off the bike. My buddy said he heard it and looked back in time to see me flipping through the air. Somehow I walked away with barely a scratch. I was wearing all my gear but I'm still pretty amazed I got off so easily. I was able to ride home so that's more good news.

Now for the project. I pulled off the gas tank and all the fairings. The bike probably needs a new gas tank and handlebars but not right away. I really like the way it looks with everything stripped off. I was thinking about doing a headlight conversion, to either a single round or a double a la the Triumph Triple. There are also some cool looking headlights on Motorcycle Superstore. Any thoughts?

Attachments

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Andezel

convert it to look like the fz8 :thumbup: id give you props if you could pull it off lol my connections at the local dealer keep trying to talk me into the fz8 instead of the 6r
Yeah I really like the way the FZ8 looks, plus it would give me a place for front turn signals. I have a couple months to think about it, so I can take my time try and track down some cheap parts

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

linkgt

convert it to look like the fz8 :thumbup: id give you props if you could pull it off lol my connections at the local dealer keep trying to talk me into the fz8 instead of the 6r
I almost want to advise you to get the fz8 instead... lol. I know it's off topic but if you want more performance, fz8 is the way to go compared to fz6r anyway.

Superzoom

Hey Andezel,

Here are some options for headlights. I personally am a big fan of the single round headlight.

HeadLight Kits. StreetFighters Inc. One stop shopping for StreetFighter & Motorcycle Accessories.

The prices are really high, but they might save you some fabricating.

You could also get a set of brackets and find a side mount headlight somewhere.

These are $18 at Motorcycle Superstore. Maybe you could order a headlight from a Bonneville or Suzuki GS500. Or you could go to a Motorcycle shop and see what they have used.

I'll be curious about all the details of your conversion. I keep fantasizing about doing the same thing with my bike.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Andezel

All great suggestions, thanks to everyone for their help. I'll try to play with photoshop and see what some of them look like on the bike. IMO the single round is gonna be hard to beat though :D

Andezel

Photoshopped pics

So you'll have to forgive my primitive photoshop skills, but here's a few different headlights. Its not great but it at least gives an idea what they might look like. I still haven't decided yet, but there's been some cool suggestions already. Can anyone say zombie bike? It will rise again! :zombie:

Attachments

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Superzoom

Round, round, round!

Dammit, you've got me wanting to "standardize" my bike again!

Get on it, man. I'm dying to see where you take it.

wtnotch

Here's what I did to mine. I finished it last weekend - got tired of none of the windscreens working as well as I'd like, so I went naked. I was able to mount the instrument panel to the handlebar mounts using 3/4 inch plywood aluminum border stock I bought at OSH :) I have a small flyscreen on order that I'll try next week just to fill the gap between the headlight and instrument panel.

Russ

Last edited:

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Superzoom

Here's what I did to mine. I finished it last weekend - got tired of none of the windscreens working as well as I'd like, so I went naked. I was able to mount the instrument panel to the handlebar mounts using 3/4 inch plywood aluminum border stock I bought at OSH :) I have a small flyscreen on order that I'll try next week just to fill the gap between the headlight and instrument panel.
Hey Russ/Wtnotch,

Looks great. Any chance you could post some close-ups of the instruments/mount? Too bad you didn't take shots of the set-up while you were making and assembling it.

Is wiring the headlight as simple as plugging it in?

And how is the Corbin saddle? I don't think I would ever buy one, based on all the negative feedback on Corbin as a company, but I'm curious.

wtnotch

Hey Russ/Wtnotch,

Looks great. Any chance you could post some close-ups of the instruments/mount? Too bad you didn't take shots of the set-up while you were making and assembling it.

Is wiring the headlight as simple as plugging it in?

And how is the Corbin saddle? I don't think I would ever buy one, based on all the negative feedback on Corbin as a company, but I'm curious.
I'm usually too impatient to do the photos while you work thing :) I should be getting the fly screen next week and can take some shots when I put that on.

The headlight was definitely plug-n-play and I got it from flyncycle.com . The mounts came from Dale Walker at holeshot.com.

I love the Corbin. No sore butt no matter how long the ride. I've used Corbin seats before and have never had any of the customer relation problems that seem to plague other users. The seat that's on the FZ6R I got used from another member of the forum. It's kind of like ... yeah they suck as a company to deal with but the product fits me better than anything else I've tried.

Russ

Last edited:

Y

yellowfz

Russ

Nice job , like the looks of it .