Bigger Rear Tire 160/60 vs 170/60

sbastien82

So I have been digging in this forum looking to see if it was a good idea to get a bigger rear tire. I have not gotten a clear answer. Some say it decreases performance and that the FZ6R was not made for a bigger tire. Some say it increase performance? I just want to know what the answer is... I want to get the bigger tire for looks but I want to know how much it increases or decreases performance if I do this...better yet I want to know if the bigger tires will hurt my bike.. Is the swingarm wide enough to take on the 170/60 tire? or is the tire going to be hitting this? Answers anyone?

Gixerhp

So I have been digging in this forum looking to see if it was a good idea to get a bigger rear tire. I have not gotten a clear answer. Some say it decreases performance and that the FZ6R was not made for a bigger tire. Some say it increase performance? I just want to know what the answer is... I want to get the bigger tire for looks but I want to know how much it increases or decreases performance if I do this...better yet I want to know if the bigger tires will hurt my bike.. Is the swingarm wide enough to take on the 170/60 tire? or is the tire going to be hitting this? Answers anyone?
Biggest problem is the width of the OEM wheel, i dont think it is wide enough to accommodate a wider tire!

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Gixerhp

I can’t imagine that swapping out the rear tire and wheel decreasing performance. I’m sure you will get more traction. best person to get a clear answer form is your local dealer or an tire pro.
You really wont get more traction, with the wheel not being wide enough, it will change the crown of the wider tire!

Also with a larger tire, you gain rotating mass, with will rob the bike of power!

Chucker

Last edited:

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

sbastien82

i just went through this about 2 weeks ago and yes a 170 will fit on your rim and will work PERFECTLY FINE!!! my thing is light weight soo im sticking with my 160 and the 170 will help in corners a tiny bit!
you think a 170 adds that much weight?

RooKie

I'm using 180/55 on mine and there's a huge difference in performance... NOT! Rides same as with 160/60. I've ridden it for 2k and had 0 problems or complaints w/ it. Just maintain proper tire pressure like you should be doing anyways and you'll be good.

SITE DISCLAIMER! We take no responsibility if you choose to do this to your bike and have an issue/accident/etc.. It is not recommended to run a tire size other than manufacturer recommended sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

RooKie

that looks F***n sexy... Noob question did you have to get a new wheel and stuff or did you just installed as is?
Thanks! :D Same rim, only change is the tire.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

I dont recommend this change AT ALL.

RooKie

While it might work for you, it is not recommended, one size up is generally "O.K." two sizes up is not recommended.

If anyone does this, do so at your own risk. We take no responsibility.
Agreed. I mainly use my 6R for daily commute and rarely take it on the twisties, so the tire change works fine for my purpose. If you take it on the track or try to push the limits of traction on the twisties I can not guarantee that a wider tire will be as safe as stock. Do at your own risk.

That's awesome... Hard to believe that there was no change in performance. anything you noticed? or would caution before doing this ? even if it's minor?
Only difference you'll feel is the same difference form having an old, worn-out, tire to getting a new one. Aside from that it's all the same. As far as words of caution, read dart1963's comment and my reply. He's absolutely right.

richierich781

I wonder if the 180 tire fits with the puig hugger?