Big Buck tried to bum a ride

ctgottapee

70mph on highway at night, monster 10 point buck came out of the corn...

got on the brakes for about 25 feet, nailed it dead center midsection; buck was as tall as my head on the bike, only thing i saw was fur!

went down hard on the right, bike slid for another 75 feet on the road, i bailed and rolled almost half way. sparks were flying once it hit the bolt on the frame slider and as various other metal bits were tore off.

will say motorcycle safety class helped me out as i didn't freak and jam too hard on the brakes and fly off or try to swerve and fly off the bike. fortunately deer took all the impact.

dealer says total loss of about $5500 damage.
Foremost insurance is offering $5280 ACV + taxes and registration
on a 2009 FZ6R with 6200 miles
I Can't Say Enougtt Good Things About My Insurance; They Actually Work For My Gain Instead of Against It.

amazing thing #1: i wasn't wearing a helmet. no broken bones or sprains. remained conscious throughout and pretty much stayed on the bike. serious road rash and burns all over body.

amazing thing #2: i had my dog with me in a back pack and she walked away unscathed basically. she was knocked unconscious by the impact, but the bag close to my chest on front kept the road rash away and i grabbed and rolled protecting the back (my elbows paid dearly though.)

amzing thing #3: jerk cop gave me a ticket. cops in that area are none for being jerks.

ctgottapee

oh, i'm still waiting on what they offer for the add on equipment
those are (what's left) of the kawasaki zxr transformer mirrors

Heineken

Elite Member

Spunky99

No helmet? Seriously?
Is that what you got the ticket for?

Sure glad you and the dog are OK.
What happened to the deer?

ctgottapee

No helmet? Seriously?
Is that what you got the ticket for?

Sure glad you and the dog are OK.
What happened to the deer?
i went down with the bike and really never made any contact with my head, not a scratch, so a helmet wouldn't have helped. some proper armored riding gear would have prevented weeks and weeks of pain and healing. frame slider probably prevented my leg from being torn off.

i got the ticket for too fast for conditions and failure to report. i called my father as i wasn't in need of immediate attention and wanted the dog taken to a vet for care. a cop spotted the bike before we returned and towed it citing failure to report. even for a non-collision accident in my state you have to stop by the cop shop to file a report. the law is a bit murky, the judge decides basically.

both will get reduced to supervision but i still have to pay.

no helmets required here, just goggles which i had. i normally where the shell but happen to not be that night.

the deer died immediately, or darn near. 60mph dead center hit to the rib cage, not to mention stabbed with the mirrors

D

Deleted member 9794

Congrats on being alive but you won't be for long if you keep that crap up. Do better, wear your gear! No helmet, no gear, AND a dog at 70mph on a highway at night (I'm assuming it was 55mph like most highways)?! :spank:

CtrlAltDl

Looks like you faired pretty well considering what happened and the lack of gear.

I'm glad to hear the insurance is stepping up to the plate and gave you a fair offer.

Sorry to hear about the d-bag cop and the lame ass tickets though. He should've left it alone. You weren't harming anyone but yourself (except your dog), so the tickets were unnecessary.

6R Blackout

I am glad that you and your dog are overall OK. I am curious did you get the deer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!

rjohnson5481

You got somebody looking out for you.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member
Last edited:

ctgottapee

yes no worries, i have the gear, but made a foolish mistake to go without for a brief trip

i was just sharing the story
and i did get lucky as far as how i impacted the deer; most often you clip it or he clips you and you go flying and break your neck, or loose control, or front brake lock and eject over.

i actually love my helmet rather than not; it was being polished at the time.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

redwing-2001

Thanks for sharing, you may very well have given someone something to think about and in turn saved them from what you experienced. Glad you and the dog came out alive.

JustKatie

I'll spare the lecture, I'm certain that you have replayed the accident over and over in your mind and know too well how lucky/blessed you are. Also you probably knew you would get reamed for not wearing gear and decided to share your experience anyway knowing it may save another, kudos to you! Very glad that you are okay, and your little dog too! (<---sorry I couldn't resist, hehe). I hope your tickets get dropped, that's just insult to injury.

DragonBlu

Dude,you messed up a Blue bike and I can't excuse that.:spank: Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you came out mostly alright. Give the little doggie a hug! :)

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

stevet

Thanks for your post Jon and good words of wisdom I hope all will remember. Be aware of your surrounding like today could be your last day. ATGATT.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

ctgottapee

as far as ATGATT, i'm down with that.
it is one of those things that is just hard to process especially if you haven't endured the suffering. i think many physics disasters are hidden for us nowadays with all the safety features we have

i have a long hair chihuahua that abolutely luvs the bike - the vroom vroom i call it. if i say those words or even touch the carry on bag she rides in she is straight out the door and sits right on the kickstand so i can't move it without her

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member