Beware the T Rex Frame sliders (Buyer Beware)

DaIrishman

So I rendered my bike down to its simplest form today, that of a fairly large paperweight.

I was installing the T Rex frame sliders that I had just gotten and the bolt holding the cover on the clutch side snapped inside the block. Needless to say I am not happy and will not be buying anything more from them in the future. I will say at this point buyer beware on this one as I was in the process of tightening it up and I heard the snap of the bolt going before I was even going to get the torque wrench. It was a tight fitting bolt coming out and going back in but not that bad. I have very grave doubts about the two other small bolts that would be going on the other side and I am very disappointed at all of this.

Gonna have to get a quote on getting the cover off and the bolt machined out and having to get either a sleeve for the whole thing or just re-drilled and tapped. Not happy at all. Probably wont be riding for quite some time as this could get expensive. :(:(

JSP

Super Moderator
Well that sucks. This was the bolt that came with the slider kit?

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

danieljardim

So I rendered my bike down to its simplest form today, that of a fairly large paperweight.

I was installing the T Rex frame sliders that I had just gotten and the bolt holding the cover on the clutch side snapped inside the block. Needless to say I am not happy and will not be buying anything more from them in the future. I will say at this point buyer beware on this one as I was in the process of tightening it up and I heard the snap of the bolt going before I was even going to get the torque wrench. It was a tight fitting bolt coming out and going back in but not that bad. I have very grave doubts about the two other small bolts that would be going on the other side and I am very disappointed at all of this.

Gonna have to get a quote on getting the cover off and the bolt machined out and having to get either a sleeve for the whole thing or just re-drilled and tapped. Not happy at all. Probably wont be riding for quite some time as this could get expensive. :(:(
torque is a weird thing. when I need to use a torque wrench I always hand tight the bolt and use the torque the rest of the way.. sometimes you will tight 2 or 3 spins with the wrench and is already out of torque...

t-rex is gonna say that you over tightened. they can't prove that you did, you can't prove that you didn't.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

blkbrd

Elite Member
When I installed the T-Rex sliders, both the right hand small bolts were tight getting out and going back in. I think that they had a drop of loctite from the factory (I saw some on one of them), so I'm guessing that there was still some in the hole putting it back in, which caused the tightness.

Fortunately, mine didn't snap, and I hope I never have to take them out again.

Detrich

Happened to me before with Intuit Racing sliders. That's what happens with "Made in China." It could happen to all brands.

gatorONfire

I recently installed the t rex sliders as well. Turned out all nice and dandy ...eventually. But install was by no means easy. Ended up having to drill out one of the holes for the right side bracket because it didn't line up with the engine bolts by a good eighth of an inch. How did you support your engine while you were installing them?

bmw675

That's exactly what I did. Doesn't mean it isn't important to support the engine
One bolt supports it fine. There are even other small bolts holding other pieces on that will aid it support if you want to get technical.

I'm not sure how much the engine weighs, but its probably less than you would think.

gatorONfire

One bolt supports it fine. There are even other small bolts holding other pieces on that will aid it support if you want to get technical.

I'm not sure how much the engine weighs, but its probably less than you would think.
Don't want the engine to move out of line

BKP

I replaced not just one side at a time, but where I could, one bolt at a time. Had no issues with engine movement or misalignment.

BradSPE

Just installed these last night. Replaced one bolt at a time as mentioned in another thread when I could as to maintain alignment. Had more trouble with the four bolts that had to be replaced on the right side (brake side) due to mild alignment issues but just kept the bracket loose and was able to thread them all appropriately. Used a torque wrench to tighten them down per the T-rex specs. They look good in my opinion.