Bell Star vs. RS-1

ajskillz13

Looking for some feedback from those who have worn a Bell Star and an RS-1 (JonKerr... etc.)

Found a deal on the Star below from SBTG for $350. RS-1 models are about $400. Would anyone suggest the RS-1 over the Star at that price and what are your reasons?

The main reason I've heard to choose the RS-1 is that it is cheaper and provides about the same features as the Star. Well, the playing field is even now on price, so let's hear some other thoughts.

EDIT: Also would like to hear thoughts on a helmet design released in 2010 vs. one released in 2012. I've heard you need to watch shelf life, but is it that big of a deal to be less than two years behind? What's the window?

Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

ajskillz13

Jump on that star at that price. As long as it fits your head you won't get a better helmet anywhere close to that price.
Thanks, I needed to hear that. The only reviews I can find are just raves about the RS-1, so I keep thinking that it might be a better fit for non-track riding. The white/black matches my setup and gear, so I prefer it to any of the RS-1 styles, but I want to make sure it's worth it.

ajskillz13

Yeeeeaaaahhh... ordered it. I guess I'm too impatient to wait for other responses or I just trust what Jon has to say. The guy on the phone said the same thing, though.

So, if you're looking for a swingin' deal heading in to the season, www.sportbiketrackgear.com has this graphic plus two more with Snell 2010 rating for $350.

I'll be sure to update with a review once I get it. I'm really hoping it fits well like my Vortex does. After trying on my wife's Arai, I'm ready to step up to big-boy features in a helmet. Just really glad I could do so for $350!

JonKerr

Elite Member

CrazyCawi

YOU WILL BE INCREDIBLY HAPPY WITH THE STAR! wore one at the motoGP in indy....it was amazing. nice and light too

ajskillz13

YOU WILL BE INCREDIBLY HAPPY WITH THE STAR! wore one at the motoGP in indy....it was amazing. nice and light too
Thanks man! I hope the fit is perfect, but I don't expect anything less. I seem to fit into most helmets pretty well. My wife's Arai Signet Q is long oval and while I notice the difference, it's not far off.

Jon, don't worry. I've had the Transitions from day 1 with my Vortex. Love it! I have a feeling I'll buy a second once it gets chipped and scratched enough. Hoping that's a while down the road though!

p.s... CC, my wife is already talking about MotoGP Indy. She's stoked, which is rare on something I'm such a nerd about!

CrazyCawi

p.s... CC, my wife is already talking about MotoGP Indy. She's stoked, which is rare on something I'm such a nerd about!
Mine already took the time off work about 4 months ago lol...she wont stop asking...

Cant wait. As long as everything works out home wise and budget wise.

JonKerr

Elite Member

CrazyCawi

Glad we could agree. Great minds knew the awnser

yeah it sounded stupid but im post whoring lol

CrazyCawi

lol damnit man

+1 again :D

ajskillz13

Yep! Thought about that one, but the bullet holes have never done it for me since I first saw that helmet. If I wasn't so picky, I would have already ordered the Victory graphic RS-1, but my Vortex Grind graphic has the same sort of feel to it. Wanted something different to match the bike that wasn't a solid and I don't like being stuck with one color option for other gear (blue in my case).

Detrich

Never tried the Star, but the RS-1 is very high quality helmet. The only caveat is that it won't fit every shape head super well.

It's more of a "narrow shape head" helmet as opposed to "neutral" or "round shape head" helmet. You'll also need to go up at least 1 size- possibly 2, cuz the Bell size chart is wack.

ajskillz13

Never tried the Star, but the RS-1 is very high quality helmet. The only caveat is that it won't fit every shape head super well.

It's more of a "narrow shape head" helmet as opposed to "neutral" or "round shape head" helmet. You'll also need to go up at least 1 size- possibly 2, cuz the Bell size chart is wack.
I wear a Bell already, so I'm pretty sure the same size is fine. All reviewers said the same.

CrazyCawi

I wear a Bell already, so I'm pretty sure the same size is fine. All reviewers said the same.
Im with you.... why dont you get the bell born free? I love that helmet

exclusive to sportbiketrackgear.com

doesnt limit you for color option gear at all

Last edited: