Bar Vibration

creggur

Got the 600 mile service done on Tracie's FZ6R this morning and it's the first time I've ridden it since bringing it home from the dealer. I see why her hands are tingling now, at 70MPH there's a pretty good vibration coming through the bars.

I'm going to install some gel grips, but I'm wondering if anyone has done anything to dampen the bars with additional weight like BB's or diving lead?

And I'm going to post up a (probably completely useless) comparo between the FZ6R and my VFR800 since I got to ride the FZ6R in anger, post break-in, this morning. What a neat bike!

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

sammy56

The vibration is all about RPM's in the FZ6R. Rev it beyond 8000 and the vibration is basically gone (compared to 6000 or 7000). Below 6000 is it not bad also. Overall not bad really at any rev, but there is some that I think is somewhat inevitable in an I4. I do understand however that Suzuki I4's tend to have less vib than Yamaha's, but I have not validated this myself.

creggur

Thing is, and I noticed the exact same thing about RPM's, at highway speed - (65-75) - is right in the 6th gear sweet spot for vibes on the 6R. This isn't a criticism of the bike, they all have their quirks, just a minor annoyance that could possibly be overcome with a simple modification...

And quite honestly if it were my bike, and not the wife's, I would just put grip puppies on (her hands are too small for this option) or fill the bars with lead and push on some gel grips and see what happened. I'm more hesitant to modify her bike without some research before I go jumpin'...

Last edited:

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

creggur

I got my new Progrip 719 grips and put them on this morning before meeting up with Don. They're MUCH better than the stock grips. There was still a little vibration but it was hardly noticeable.
And they're on order... Going to try this before I go further - Thanks!

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member
D

Deleted member 9794

WARNING: Newbie reply! Respond w/ care :)

Okay so I just drove down to my dealership and got my 600mi service done (so now I'm up to 800+ miles :thumbup: ) and I didn't notice any vibration or irritation at interstate, highway, or local speeds.

Is it possible that your gloves are the culprit or are my hands just no longer sensitive due to 10 years of football as a lineman?

creggur

Okay so I just drove down to my dealership and got my 600mi service done (so now I'm up to 800+ miles :thumbup: ) and I didn't notice any vibration or irritation at interstate, highway, or local speeds.

Is it possible that your gloves are the culprit or are my hands just no longer sensitive due to 10 years of football as a lineman?
Wife's hands are tingling from the vibration. I noticed it today, but must admit I'm used to the VFR800 with grip puppies installed which = absolutely no vibration. I may be overly-sensitive to the buzz of an inline four as the V4 is ridiculously smooth.

2w05thletes

I'm going to get a new set of grips regardless... BUT...I have noticed a considerable difference in the two sets of gloves I have. I say considerable because with one pair there is no discernible vibration, with the other my hands tingle after the ride. I'm hoping the grips will alleviate the vibration that I feel with the new gloves.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Roaddawg

I think it depends on the bike. I don't have any vibration issues like some on this forum talk about, even in the 6-7k range,which many have said is the worse range for their vibs. I think it just depends on the individual bike, because mine runs butter smooth.

creggur

I think it depends on the bike. I don't have any vibration issues like some on this forum talk about, even in the 6-7k range,which many have said is the worse range for their vibs. I think it just depends on the individual bike, because mine runs butter smooth.
Could be a break-in thing too. Tracie's is only at 625 miles and things could get better with miles...bikes are funny that way.

owldaddy

Have you looked at buying her some new gloves? Some gloves have gel pads in the palm. Bar end weights are a common cure for this problem. Also don't underestimate the effect of a good tune up. Syncing the TB's can be a big help. I understand that grip puppies are not the solution for her small hands, but they do work well. I don't find the vibration to be that bad on the 6R, but then I'm used to riding a twin that shakes pretty good, even with a fresh tune.

creggur

Have you looked at buying her some new gloves? Some gloves have gel pads in the palm. Bar end weights are a common cure for this problem. Also don't underestimate the effect of a good tune up. Syncing the TB's can be a big help. I understand that grip puppies are not the solution for her small hands, but they do work well. I don't find the vibration to be that bad on the 6R, but then I'm used to riding a twin that shakes pretty good, even with a fresh tune.
She just got new gloves and it helped some. Part of it is a 300 mile ride we took last weekend so after that many hours on the bike it was starting to bother her. We're leaving the first week of October for week-long ride that will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 miles. Just want to make sure she's as comfortable as possible:hug:

I asked specifically for them to check the TB sync yesterday during the 600 mile service and they said things were good. I'm thinking the gel grips may get us there...

Thanks...

A1A

I had my Dealer perform the 600 mile service yesterday. So for the first time I took the bike up to 7,000 rpm. For me 7,000 rpm is a indicated 79 mph. Yes I did noticed an increase in vibration between 6,500 rpm and 7,000 rpm.
If I cruised between 6,000 rpm and 6,500 rpm the tingle wasn't really that bad and hardly noticeable. I did detect the increase in buzz though above 6,500 rpm.
I will probably just go with some gel grips and just ride the bike more.

:Sport:

undecided

Adding 1 tooth to the front sprocket may be an option to bring her into an rpm range below the vibration.
I am looking forward to another comparison...I am deciding between VFR, FZ6R and SV650 for a commuting bike (150 miles each way once a week).

Detrich

my hands tingle after a long freeway ride, but it might because i'm still gripping too hard and not relaxed enough. the buzzing does get louder at higher rpm, but it seems normal.

icestorm

Mine also has the buzz/vibration around 6k to 6.8k , simple fix is to just drop to a lower gear either 5th or 4th until the revs go past 7k to 7.5k and the buzz/vibration goes away and then its smooth sailing, also quick overtakes.