Bar End Mirrors/Block-Off Plates

JSP

Super Moderator
Thinking about just dumping the stock mirrors all together and going with one bar end on the left side... I hardly ever use the mirrors as it is. Always head check no matter what. Would just want the one bar end for sitting at a light or stop sign to see anyone coming up behind me.

Since we can use R6S mirrors, can I also use a block off plate for them as well? Few different options out there that seems like they would work.

Any recommendations on a bar end mirror? Want something cheap. I dont mind chopping my left grip to have one fit.

nlpyle

Right now I have only the clutch side mirror on. And where the stock mirrors were I have black tape covering the holes. I have been looking for mirror caps but no luck. I can say that putting the bar end mirrors on is not any easy task. I am on my second set and having trouble with the throttle side. So I am left to just the left side. There are a few others that have the bar end mirrors on so hopefully they had better luck putting them on then I did.

nlpyle

ya I got the same set up, and had the same problem with the throttle side. On the clutch side I cut some rubber hose and put that around the insert and that made for a tight fit, but can't seem to make the same fit for the other side.

As far as mirrors go I first bought a pair of silver ones from cycle gear(I love that store) for about $40 but I just bought some carbon fiber ones off ebay for half the price. And that is what I have on right now.

JSP

Super Moderator
Only one mirror is required by law in Oregon.

JSP

Super Moderator
I highly doubt it.

Just says "one required".

nlpyle

So still can't get the throttle side mirror to go on. Here some pictures of what I was trying to do. The rubber I was trying to slide around the smaller instert to make a tighter fit, but is not working on that side.

First picture of the old silver mirrors and the new carbon fiber mirror. Then the big/small inserts. Third is the big/small inserts all in one and the last is the rubber hose I have been cutting down and sanding to try to make it fit, got that idea from some folks at cycle gear.

Boy I am frustrated and out of ideas.

Attachments

micigniter

you know you guys trip me out. always quick to suggest an MSF course....but then all about removal of mirrors...hmmmmmmm.

JSP

Super Moderator
you know you guys trip me out. always quick to suggest an MSF course....but then all about removal of mirrors...hmmmmmmm.
MSF Course will teach you how you should be head checking and not relying on mirrors. And of course how to actually ride the bike and all... I still want a mirror, just one though. :D

Newmason

So have we figured out if the R6 block off plates will fit our holes?

JSP

Super Moderator
So have we figured out if the R6 block off plates will fit our holes?
Did you guys that put on the R6S mirrors have to drill an extra hole? I cant remember if that was for those or not... I will search after I of course post this question haha.

nlpyle

I don't know if any one wants to remove mirrors but instead make something that better fits them. At least that is my reason. The stock mirrors all I saw where my arms. The bar end mirrors show me what is behind me. Mirrors or no mirrors you always need to head check.

As for the block offs I am not sure yet. They almost look like it but don't know for sure.

JSP

Super Moderator
So still can't get the throttle side mirror to go on. Here some pictures of what I was trying to do. The rubber I was trying to slide around the smaller instert to make a tighter fit, but is not working on that side.

First picture of the old silver mirrors and the new carbon fiber mirror. Then the big/small inserts. Third is the big/small inserts all in one and the last is the rubber hose I have been cutting down and sanding to try to make it fit, got that idea from some folks at cycle gear.

Boy I am frustrated and out of ideas.
You cant just take the insert out and clamp it straight to the bar end?

JSP

Super Moderator
Ahhh.. so you are using them there as blinkers. Nice! Not sure I want to go that route but that is a sweeet idea! I may hit up the R6S guys and have them measure their block off plate dimensions to see if they will cover our recess. I dont mind drilling an extra hole. And then it will be prepped if I ever do decide to go with the R6S mirrors.

dolfan

Maybe sometimes we need a better mirror. I kinda like these roaring toys mirrors, @ $110.00 is not too bad.

Attachments

Last edited:

micigniter

MSF Course will teach you how you should be head checking and not relying on mirrors. And of course how to actually ride the bike and all... I still want a mirror, just one though. :D

See, you bit the bait. I was waiting on this one. Yes, you are correct, they will teach you that, in event of damage, not bike mutilation. They teach you to 1)signal 2)check mirror 3)head check. This is a major teaching point..."use your damn mirrors" was the gist of this part of the exercise. Your not cool for not having any mirrors you know...r6 mirrors? awesome. no mirrors and a corn ball circular mirror is kinda cheapening the fz6r in my opinion. no hate of course. but it just reminds me of my girls hand mirror for her makeup.......:confused:

JSP

Super Moderator
Mmmm...k! You directly linked MSF with mirrors... ok. Not trying to get rid of all the mirrors. Still want a mirror, and I may do both bar ends instead of one, we will see. Didnt know it was a popularity contest and I was trying to be cool (you guys do think im cool right??? RIGHT???) Its my bike, my choice. I understand the negative effects of not having mirrors. I WILL HAVE MIRRORS mommy!

So then you move to bike mutilation and your dislike of the bar end mirrors... thats your opinion and nothing more. Where do we stand now? Did I bite again? Or am I in the boat yet? :surrender: Love you too :hug:

You will love these next pictures then!!!