Bad Experience at Dealership Today

priotiynapkin

I was at the dealership where I got my 6r a few years ago today looking at dirt bikes with my brother today. At one point a sales person comes up and asks us what we ride and if we have any questions. When we told her I had an fz6r she said she was disappointed, and that it was a neutered 600 and that I needed to upgrade to a big boy class bike. I told her it was my first bike, a good commuter, and comfortable, but she said she had 8 bikes she commutes on all of them, and her bike was an RR. She was very condescending and I won't be returning my business there. My brother and I were kind of shocked. The "big boy class" thing got to me. Kinda put a dent in my day. Just wanted to vent a bit. :mad:

lytehouse

Super Moderator
I would have said something to her boss :mad:

Bert-Aus

I was at the dealership where I got my 6r a few years ago today looking at dirt bikes with my brother today. At one point a sales person comes up and asks us what we ride and if we have any questions. When we told her I had an fz6r she said she was disappointed, and that it was a neutered 600 and that I needed to upgrade to a big boy class bike. I told her it was my first bike, a good commuter, and comfortable, but she said she had 8 bikes she commutes on all of them, and her bike was an RR. She was very condescending and I won't be returning my business there. My brother and I were kind of shocked. The "big boy class" thing got to me. Kinda put a dent in my day. Just wanted to vent a bit. :mad:
Her attitude may be her "sales" method to intimidate/ question your manliness into buying what she perceives as the ride for you.

Forget her crap and make your decisions in what you ride and how you ride!

priotiynapkin

I would have said something to her boss :mad:
now i wish I had. better to just forget about it and move on now I guess.
Her attitude may be her "sales" method to intimidate/ question your manliness into buying what she perceives as the ride for you.
some sales method that is. not for me though. when I did retail it was all about making the customer feel good about their choices. Thanks for the supportive words! :D

blkbrd

Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Fizzer6R

the email prob. won't have as much impact as a face to face. since it's your dealership, and assume you want to go back there even just to look around... take a deep breath and approach her again, if she doesn't remember you, calmly remind her of the conversation and explain how she came across.

if she still doesn't get how she offended you, then ask (someone else) to speak to the sales manager. say the same and see how he reacts, hopefully he understand that's not the way to make sales. if he comes off as a prick, then yes avoid this place, and mention to them you will be spreading the word via social media how they treat their customers doing business

Alex6

Meh. It is a girly bike after all. At least this is how it is marketed on the Yamaha website. And the the balls have been extracted to make it like that. If someone told me that - I'd agree about the bike assessment and reply that I will buy whatever I want/need on my terms.
I suggest to grow some thicker skin and let these things roll off of you.

Last edited:

Malicioso

Should have told he about the factory optioned hump on the pillion seat, then she would have asked you to take her for a ride ;)

lark

These people are crazy, I had the salesman repeatedly tell me I needed to purchase a dealer's maintenance package because I wouldn't be able to maintain the bike myself. I repeatedly told him I was not purchasing that and he couldn't explain to me what they do at the services that I couldn't do myself (oil, chain, check hoses and connections) he finally came up with needing to synch the electronic throttle body and whatever else at every service, but ESP. the first service at 600 miles. I said no. Then he told me I have to get either the extended warranty or the maintenance package as part of my loan so I can use the full amount of the loan! What a doof. Then he was angry with me when I declined both.

The "specialized tools" he told me the dealer uses are <$100 on amazon and the shop I'll be taking my bike to has said I could easily learn to do it myself.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

latony007

If I were in this position, I would be sure to at least e-mail the sales manager to let them know that they have just lost a sale. I go into any retail establishment expecting to treated with respect, be it for a pack of gum or a new car. If I am greeted with condescending remarks from the staff, the manager would be notified. You bought your 6R from them not by circumstance, but by choice. There were lots of other bikes to choose from and just as many dealers. In today's economy, I don't think dealers are in a position to treat you badly. You can negotiate price just about anywhere to get the same deal. What you can't change is walking out of a business feeling like they're looking down on you. I would take my cash elsewhere.

My $.02
I agree with this, email is good enough and for no other reason than an owner/manager doest always get to see whats going on. Going back face to face and even starting a discussion about it with the offender is more effort than i would go through. If this is her selling technique im going to guess she wont be around long, unless she is super hot :) I am also willing to be she doesnt have 8 bikes. The one thing all vehicle sales people are trained on is how to lie.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Alex6

Riiiigght. OK. I've been riding since the mid eighties. I have ridden everything from a moped (with pedals) to a 900cc Honda SuperSport.

The 6R is not a "girly bike." Are you trolling, or just ignorant? I can answer either one.

Ever tried to read the post you've quoted ?

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

Riiiigght. OK. I've been riding since the mid eighties. I have ridden everything from a moped (with pedals) to a 900cc Honda SuperSport.

The 6R is not a "girly bike." Are you trolling, or just ignorant? I can answer either one.
Kiddies, this is a forum, relax, its ok everyone has an opinion and they are welcome to share.
And funnily enough sometimes opinions differ, but thats ok, that is what makes this forum great -all voices can be heard!
... Even the ones that are irritating, arrogant, ill informed etc:p

Ever tried to read the post you've quoted ?

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

VRIIClubby

Having worked through Retail and then Customer Contact Centres etc etc this type of attitude and approach should be reported to a manager or owner ASAP.

I would have asked the Lady in question to get her boss and then we would have a nice chat in front of her about how her opinions in sales are just that, hers, and keep them to yourself whilst at work, assist with what the customer wants, not your own ideological thoughts.
Situations like this should be addressed immediately or they just get washed away by the sales rep in question with vagueness and denial at later dates.

Recently I wrote a barrage of emails and customer surveys about my local Yamaha dealer to Yamaha, 3 months later I get a letter from the shop in question stating that they have "decided to part ways with Yamaha to futher grow their business" hahahahaha yeah righto :D

Do you really care what some dumb sales female dog said?
Wow, just wow is all I can say...

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member