Bad Decision?

Jbw250

I am new to this sight and want to get some advice and opinions. I bought a new FZ6R and love it. I have a 4 yr old and a 8 month old. I had surgery last year and almost didn't make it. I decided I wanted to ride after 20 yrs. From time to time I have people tell me that I made a bad decision. I am careful and enjoy riding. I know anything can happen! Just wanted some input. Anybody else think it is foolish to ride with kids? I ride with a guy that has two. Please give me some opinions. Thanks!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

MustGoFaster

Well, that largely depends on what your surgery was for. If it was anything that can affect how you ride, then it may not have been the wisest of choices. Beyond that, doing anything in life can be dangerous. Heck, just driving can be pretty hazardous to your health. Is riding a bike inherently reckless? No. People on the road are typically the issue. They text, worry about their coffee, talk on their phones, mess with their radios or GPS's, are naturally stupid or crappy drivers, etc.

There's no easy answer to your question. A good chunk of people who don't ride don't get it, thinking that by hopping on a bike you're automatically riding like a squid or that your mortality rate increases dramatically. I disagree with the latter part of that. You can die just by setting foot outside your house, heck, even INSIDE your house. Just be careful and aware and you should be fine. :thumbup:

will415

Ive been down twice before and i have a little boy. He is 9 years old now and when they happened he was younger but remembers me in pain from dealing with them. I personaly dont think there is anything wrong with it the way is see it yes its risky but then again when you look at the overall picture if you cross a street someone can strike you with there car and hurt or kill you. If you are in a car driving you can also get hurt or die. If you cross the street and someone drives by and shots you, you could get hurt or die. If your wife is pissed at you then the same would apply. So to answer in my opinion its not follish if that was the case then it would be to do anything in life but its not. We still have to live our lifes and there is a higher power then us out there who will direct us to when it is out time. Just keep positive and when you ride just make sure you always make it back home for your child and your family cause they are what really matters. Be safe and always alert there is so much we can avoid also as a rider.

STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS....................

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

I love when people tell me that my motorcycle is dangerous. Especially if they happen to be drinking a beer or eating a Baconator at the time. My Mother-In-Law is sure that I will one day die as a result of motorcycling. SHe is absolutely terrified of my bike. She smokes 25 cigarettes a day. See where I'm going here?
If you really want to be safe, pad yourself from head to toe and wear oven mitts at all times. Also, never leave your bunker. Statistically, going anywhere near a highway in or on any sort of vehicle is one of the most dangerous aspects of life. People still see motorcycles as instant death and think cars are safe, though. We all have different perspectives, I guess.
The next time someone tells you that motorcycling is a bad decision, tell them that their extra flab is going to put them in an early grave, or that their kids are insolent because they are being raised all wrong. My point is, unsolicited life advice is rude and unwelcome.
Motorcycling is not a bad decision as long as you are aware of the risk, willing to accept it, and willing to manage the risk in the way that best suits your needs. Ride safe, be aware, and be proud. And most of all, have fun. That's why we do it!

StarZero81

Elite Member

Jbw250

Thanks

I love riding....relieves stress! Thanks for the responses! I'm in western NC so there is a lot of good riding.

will415

Just make sure you respect the bike and it will respect you respect the road and it will respect you respect other drivers and they will respect you. Be safe and always be alert.

STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS....

LS6TT

I rode before my son was born, sold it as i saw it to be unsafe.

November of last year a large tumor was located in my frontal lobe, want to know the first thing I thought of? Buying a bike. My son is old enough now, and I still take things as cautious as I can be. I know my life expectancy isnt long, and I dont want to shorten it any, but I also dont want it to hold me back from living.

Live every day, dont get wreckless, enjoy it.

Fizzer6R

I love riding....relieves stress! Thanks for the responses! I'm in western NC so there is a lot of good riding.
Asheville area? western NC has to be in the top 10 best riding areas in the US

like said just be careful, and make sure everything else is in order as it should be, life insurance, medical coverage, plans if dad ends up staying in the hospital and out of work for a while because an injury etc.

Jbw250

Hickory

Asheville area? western NC has to be in the top 10 best riding areas in the US

like said just be careful, and make sure everything else is in order as it should be, life insurance, medical coverage, plans if dad ends up staying in the hospital and out of work for a while because an injury etc.
Just outside Hickory about an hour from Asheville!

SAFE-T

On average, a motorcyclist is 14 times more likely to be killed in a collision than in a car. These are the undisputed facts.

Having said that, what you need to know is that most accidents are preventable, so you have a lot of control over the amount of risk you expose yourself to on your bike.

After 15 yrs of doing driver training, I think about 5-10% of 'accidents' are truly accidental in the sense that they were the result of nearly unavoidable or unpredictable circumstances, and not just "I didn't mean to do THAT" accidental. These are the same kinds of things that can happen to you in your vehicle. The oncoming-car-swerves-into-your-lane-and-hits-you kind of stuff.

In a vehicle you may or may not come out unscathed. On a motorcycle you are obviously at a constant disadvantage.

But if you take some training, and have some self-control and discipline and develop some good riding and (more importantly) good observation skills your risk of riding a motorcycle will be up to 90% lower than the average rider out there.

RooKie

I have a son. I started riding when he was 4. I don't think riding is a bad decision. No one lives forever. Good live insurance is always a good idea IMO.

mblue0122

This my first bike and I'm 39 years old, heard a lot of the same things. Ask yourself one honest question. Are you a good driver? If you have been in a lot of accidents because you drive carelessly, then this is probably not for you. On the other hand, if you are careful and defensive you will likely be fine.

2011copperfz6r

I too am new here, also have a little girl who will be 3 soon, and just got a new fz in May. Ride respectfully and enjoy the ride. I found some new twisties on a short ride today with the sun on my back while my wife & daughter went on a short shopping trip and we all came home smiling...... Mike.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

redwing-2001

What nearly everyone said is correct and to the point.
The only other comment I have is actually a question: WHO is telling you that? Wife, children, parent, significant others (people who know you well)? Ask them why they think that and then you may have someting valid to work on so, go about fixing it. If they are aquaintences giving unsolicited advice based on their own lack of ability to live life like they want to and are probably jealous, don't worry about it.