bad backfiring

chopper71

So I rode yesterday before re painting my bike again. Got a lot of bad backfire. Got it on accel and decel. Here is what I'm running.

Two Brothers full exhaust no leaks
PCV with Marthys Advgear RevB map
Drilled holes in air box
Blocked off the original AIS

mike

So I rode yesterday before re painting my bike again. Got a lot of bad backfire. Got it on accel and decel. Here is what I'm running.

Two Brothers full exhaust no leaks
PCV with Marthys Advgear RevB map
Drilled holes in air box
Blocked off the original AIS
Have you just recently installed/changed anything or have you been running fine and it just started?

chopper71

Have you just recently installed/changed anything or have you been running fine and it just started?[/QUO

Everything was just recently installed. Maybe a couple of weeks ago without much riding since installed. The weather being the way it has been, plus having the bike torn down for painting. Nothing more has been done since I've added everything that I listed.

Last edited:

chopper71

Im in King William. Like 5 miles from Kings Dominion. What part are you in?
I'm about 10 minutes north of Harrisonburg. Been to Kings Dominion plenty of times. I use to live in VA Beach right off of Indian River Road.

I see you have a blue FZ6R. Do you still have the stock clutch and brake levers on your bike? If so and if want a set of blue ones, I have them.
I've painted my bike black and have red levers that will be here tomorrow. So if you want the blue ones they are yours. They are still like brand new.

My bike when it was blue with the blue levers.

Last edited:

mike

Must be some nice roads out that way with the mountains and all. I used to live in Norfolk spent plenty of time in VA beach. I got the black PSR levers on mine, just installed about a month ago. But thanks!!!

chopper71

Blue Ridge Parkway is awesome to ride on. Just the wildlife likes to run out in front you or run beside you. I had 5 deer run beside me one time for about 30 seconds. It was scary but fun at the same time. Sounds good on your black levers, just thought I'd ask about the blue.

chopper71

So I installed the map from the PC site and still getting backfire. This time on decel. My set up is blocked off plates by using JB weld on the stock plates. Drilled holes into my air box. On the air box I blocked off the nipple coming out of the box on the right top side. Running stock air filter. Am I missing something? New TB full exhaust with no leaks.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

chopper71

did you wire up the speed sensor input? If I remember right, that map needs it to determine what gear is running
Yes speed sensor is hooked up. I checked that to make sure and from what I can see it is. Is there a way of telling if it is or not? It could look hooked up but maybe it has a short where I spliced into the pink wire. I tugged on the wire slightly that is going into the PCV and it is in there pretty good. At the pink wire everything looks ok. Maybe I should lift the tank again and double check the splice.

chopper71

Hey dart thank you thank you for your suggestion. The speed sensor wire was indeed not fully plugged in. I went to check it and it looked plugged in at the pink wire splice. So I tugged on it and it came out. So this time I made sure I heard the connection snap when I put it back in and wrapped with tape. Went for a quick test ride and NO BACKFIRE :iconbeer:

So many thanks to you bud for the suggestion.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member