AUTOMOBILE OIL or MOTORCYCLE OIL?

ivweekends

Someone once told me oils made for cars are good enough for bikes. Does anyone know if that's true? Do I need to get motorcycle-specific oil or can use car motor oils just the same??

Also, my bike is fairly new and coming up due for 1st service (600 miles). Dealers want to charge 2.5 hours because they say they need to adjust a bunch of things on the bike. Is it really just an oil change that is important at 600 miles or does all that other "adjustments" dealer wants to charge me for valuable and critical too?

Any info. is greatly appreciated!

monstermike4343

Elite Member
Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Someone once told me oils made for cars are good enough for bikes. Does anyone know if that's true? Do I need to get motorcycle-specific oil or can use car motor oils just the same??

Also, my bike is fairly new and coming up due for 1st service (600 miles). Dealers want to charge 2.5 hours because they say they need to adjust a bunch of things on the bike. Is it really just an oil change that is important at 600 miles or does all that other "adjustments" dealer wants to charge me for valuable and critical too?

Any info. is greatly appreciated!
If you use a car oil make sure it is not energy conserving in the API circle. Lots of people use Rotella. As long as it meets the manufacturers required oil specs you are good. I still stay stick with a MC oil... But thats JMO.

As far as the initial service. You can do it all yourself. Mainly oil change and if they actually DO anything else, they check clutch lever play, chain slack, tolerances etc. All spelled out in your owners manual. I refuse to have the dealer do ANY service on my bike.

JSP

Super Moderator
cars mainly use full synthetic oils and for bikes it works too good so the clutch will slip so watch out for that try a half synthetic
Cars use any oil. Bike can use any oil as well. I as well as millions of others run fully synthetic. That has nothing to do with the wet clutch. Its if you use an oil with friction modifiers that will cause the clutch to slip.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

monstermike4343

Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
And you can switch back and forth between synthetic and non synthetic and semi with no issues.

Last edited:

monstermike4343

Elite Member

Chucker

Why not use motorcycle oil? I buy Motul 5100 and it runs me barely more than car oil would.

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
i have always used one oil and never had any problems
Well of course not ;) But going back and forth between oil brands/types wont hurt anything either. I've run so many different brands and types of oil through my bikes you would think im OCD. Just went from Full Synthetic Mobil 1 racing to dino Yamalube. The Yamalube actually quiets down the bike considerably. I change oil around 2500 miles no matter anyways. I like to play with oils and see what works best for my specific bike. There are tons of oil myths out there. Most all are false.

monstermike4343

Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

monstermike4343

Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

raybob

As long as it has the JASO-MA rating, you're good to go ("Energy Conserving" oils won't have the JASO-MA rating).

I use the rotella synthetic from wally world.

Bob

Alex6

As long as it has the JASO-MA rating, you're good to go ("Energy Conserving" oils won't have the JASO-MA rating).
Bob
That pretty much excludes all car oils.

With so many m/c specific oils on the market why even consider auto oil? :rolleyes:
In that case, why not some cooking oil?