Approaching 600 mile service

jgelack

Hi, I'm getting close to my 600 mile service. I am considering doing this service myself. I honestly don't think that a dealership tech would be as particular with my bike as I would be. This is my first bike, but I've been wrenching on my own cars for years, so I have the tools and feel comfortable doing it. My question is, other than a oil change and a chain cleaning/lube, is there anything else I need to do? I certainly don't want to neglect to do something, the dealer would do during this initial service, that would jeopardies my safety or the bike. Also, when would it be a good time to switch over to a synthetic oil ? I think I'm going to stick with the Yamalube Dino, until the break in is complete. I really appreciate any advice you guys can give me.

BrockGrimes

Check your paperwork I think there's something in there about warrenty or extended warrenty for the first or break in services. I'm in the same boat coming up on mine. I need to double check but I believe I saw something about warrenty crap.

I'm with you on doing my own wrenching. I want to do it myself but need to make sure I'm meeting warrenty obligations as well.

JSP

Super Moderator
Check your paperwork I think there's something in there about warrenty or extended warrenty for the first or break in services. I'm in the same boat coming up on mine. I need to double check but I believe I saw something about warrenty crap.

I'm with you on doing my own wrenching. I want to do it myself but need to make sure I'm meeting warrenty obligations as well.

They cannot void your warranty for doing the work yourself. Just keep a log book with dates and mileage and receipts and the services/checks you did.

Look in your manual for what they recommend. Do that. You can switch to syn anytime you want to.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

BrockGrimes

If you check the manual it says doing your own service is ok if your a qualified mechaninc or something to that effect. Then is goes on about if your maintenance is the cause for the breakage your warranty wont pay for it, obviously.

Basically it's written / worded so that if they want to be dorks they can.

I'm not scared I'll still do it myself.

latony007

congrats to you both for your first service. I couldn't wait to get to my first service so I could open up the throttle a little at least. I went ahead and took it in. I looked at a lot of used bikes and went with new for the main reason that I wanted to feel safe it had no problems, so that's why I took it to the dealer for that first service so they could make sure everything was good. Not to mention I don't know anything about mechanics and take my car in for everything. Did they go over all those bolts etc? I don't know but since they sold it to me and put it together I would hope so. I will have to see whats in the next service because I will say that for checking the bolts, oil and chain lube it was like 200 with my "discount" I think I could handle a motorcycle oil change and I already ordered my chain stuff.