apartment + fz6

rjohnson5481

Moving to an apartment from a house with a garage pretty soon.
I've done some research on covers and such, i'm mainly looking for advice on keeping her upright, when parked. My biggest fear is walking out and seeing someone hit it. We have one covered space at the complex, but nothing more.

heads up, i'm new to riding in general.

motoguy82

I used to park mine sideways at the front of my spot (not sure if you have assigned??) and then pull the wife's car in behind it...overhead covered both pretty well, although I used a bike cover too.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Rookasaki

I live in a 4 plex apartment with no covered parking... I bought the FZ6R cover. Good for the summer months. However when winter came along I would throw a tarp over her. You should be good with any cover since you have a over head parking spot.

Since my buddy moved in next door and his place came with a carport... We got one of these...

As far as security get a good disc brake lock.

redwing-2001

rent the smallest you can find self-storage space especially for extended times you will not be riding (winter). Maybe winter would not be an issue in Mississippi but if you think there will be a problem in you area, this idea may give you some piece of mind.

iSpoolin

I just keep my bikes under covers parked next to my cars. Put a padlock through some metal eyes on the bottom and front of the cover (through the front wheel)

ChUcK

I concur with the purchase of a good cover. They make ones that are designed to be thrown over a still-warm motorcycle.

I don't recommend storing your bike on a center stand when there's no maintenance going on- this makes it easier to tip over. Geometry does not lie- the triangle formed by the 2 wheels and kickstand leads to a more stable configuration than that formed by the front tire and 2 center stand legs. If there is a dominant wind direction, try to park so the wind is blowing the bike towards the kickstand and/or towards the rear. I have seen bikes pushed over by the wind right before my own eyes.

NastyButler is right, there's only so much you can do to keep your bike safe, no matter where you live or how secure the bike is. I recommend to ride, ride and only stop for food and toilet. That way you can outrun any possible vandal!

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

rjohnson5481

The wind is my fear I'm a weather guy and now the winds in flat az can push a lot more than a bike

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

ChUcK

Always make sure the wind hits your bike on the forward starboard side, pushing against the kickstand. And, if it's really really windy, leave it uncovered- bike covers make great sails, which is not a good thing.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

dndfindley

I concur with the purchase of a good cover. They make ones that are designed to be thrown over a still-warm motorcycle.

I don't recommend storing your bike on a center stand when there's no maintenance going on- this makes it easier to tip over. Geometry does not lie- the triangle formed by the 2 wheels and kickstand leads to a more stable configuration than that formed by the front tire and 2 center stand legs. If there is a dominant wind direction, try to park so the wind is blowing the bike towards the kickstand and/or towards the rear. I have seen bikes pushed over by the wind right before my own eyes.

NastyButler is right, there's only so much you can do to keep your bike safe, no matter where you live or how secure the bike is. I recommend to ride, ride and only stop for food and toilet. That way you can outrun any possible vandal!
Kicking over a bike with a kickstand would be easy. Have you ever wiggled or tried to move a bike with a centerstand? Centerstands are way more stable IMO. The wife's T-Max has one and that thing's a rock when on it. Heck, you could allow small kids to play on it without fear it would turn over. David

Fizzer6R

Always make sure the wind hits your bike on the forward starboard side, pushing against the kickstand. And, if it's really really windy, leave it uncovered- bike covers make great sails, which is not a good thing.
problem is you can't always tell where the wind will come from right. I can vouch for leave it uncovered if it becomes very windy. RJ since you're a weather guy you will be on top of that ;) had a ninja in very flat new mexico, covered and tied tight through the loops on bottom, wind moved it around so much banging had little dings across the very bottom edge fairing from hitting it.

I feel for all you guys in apts having to worry about it, been there done that, especially when you park it and can't see it from windows:( had a dirt bike chained to one of the complex's light poles, then finally got a storage place.

even now I still lock the steering on the bikes in the garage just to make it harder to get em if someone gets in