Anyone else... ?

JonKerr

Elite Member

MikeN02

Haven't had that happen to me yet. Then again I'm not around that many people who know many bikes. Some guy at Cycle Gear had to do a double take because he thought it was an R6.

I agree with you how it's frustrating people think that it's the same bike. Is the CBR F4I the same as a RR?

The ZZR 600 the same as a ZX6R? No, even though their both from the same family and the earlier generations.

fz6rwolf

No, most folks I know ride cruisers and have no clue as to other bikes, only that mine's a crotch rocket like CBR's and GSX's:rolleyes:

FitZ6R

Anyone get frustrated with the fact Yamaha chose to put the FZ label on our bike?
I agree. And the FZ6 folks don't like it either. They're both great, but quite different, bikes, and neither benefits from the confusion.

Last I checked, there are 26 letters in the alphabet, which makes for 676 two-letter combinations (OK, 675 if we omit "FU" ). Why re-use? Personally, I would have been happy with the XJ6 designation.

The YZF-R6 and YZF-R6S have a similar issue.

travstoll

Anyone get frustrated with the fact Yamaha chose to put the FZ label on our bike? I get people all the time that I'm meeting for the first time, friends who used to ride, people online, etc... who the second you say FZ they think they know all about our bike. "That's exactly what I had as a first bike but it was a 2005." or "Yeah I know that bike, I love the undertail exhaust." A friend of mine who hasn't seen the bike yet, only pics, just won't understand that his brother doesn't have the same bike I have but an 06 model. Trying to explain to someone that there's nothing more than the controls and a few parts in common with the FZ6 and the FZ6R and having them think you don't know what you're talking about when they're the ones who have no idea is getting annoying. I mean really, our bike has pretty much nothing in common with the FZ6 and most people think it's just a full fairing version of that bike. Why did Yamaha use the same family name when they're nothing alike? :rant:

OK End rant. I just got a message from a guy on another forum and it just set me off. :rolleyes: He's wanting to sell me the exhaust off his FZ6 saying there's no reason to buy the TBR. I've been trying to get it through his thick skull that they're two different bikes and that he's an idiot and doesn't know the first thing about our bike and he still won't get it.
I am not opposed to having the fz6r on the side of the bike, however I did remove the decals on mine to clean up the bike a little bit. I will post pics soon.

JonKerr

Elite Member

joloy133

100% right.........XJ6, XR6, XJ6R, anything but.what was chosen. What are you gonna do? WTF? My decals are off. Shoulda been XJ6S for "sport" :rant:

Heineken

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Ooter

I'm just sick of the comprisons to the FZ6! Especially the "The FZ6R sucks because its 20hp less than the FZ6".

They are different bikes! Why not say "The FZ6 sucks because it has less HP than the FZ1!""

pyrocpu

I'd have to agree... talking w/ a co-worker, he was interested to find out that I had finally pulled the trigger on the bike...

Co-worker(CW): "Which bike did you get again?"
Me: "It's a Yamaha... Yamaha positions it as a Super Sport for some odd reason, but it's more upright... it's an FZ6...r...

I hadn't hardly gotten "R" out of my mouth when he interjects:
CW: "Oh, yeayeayea... I had looked at those back in 2005-2006... you got a naked bike?"
Me: "Nonono... you're thinking of a different bike. This one's different. Steel frame, a motor that's tuned even more so for ridability than the FZ6 that you're talking about."
CW: "Yeah, the detuned one, the detuned R6 motor... still got like what, 90hp or so?"
Me: "Dude. You're not listening. Different mf'n bike. D-I-F-F-E-R-E-N-T." 70hp or so, fully-faired."
CW: "A fully-faired FZ6?"
Me: <sigh> "Yeah, sure." <walks away>

In essence, to the uninitiated, it's a crotch rocket. For those into standards & sportier bikes, it's an FZ6 with plastic. Yamaha needs to market this thing; there's zero awareness of this model.