Any Info would be great

Lido

Hello everyone Lido here, in search of a fz6r and am wondering is there any known problem with these bikes? Any known major failure of a perticular part? I'm hopping to get a 2009 is there one year better than another? Any quircks that a newbie should look out for? I will be buying used, and want to learn as much as posible about this bike. Thanks in advance and I am very pleased to be a part of this forum.

JimmyC

2009 -2011 are all the same bike with different decals and paint.....I can only tell you from my experience this bike is very solid....low maintenance...great all around bike...I only have a few thousand miles and have had no problems. I know other forum members have way more miles than me so I will let them chime in. But through the years I have had 3 yamaha's and they have been very easy to maintain and very reliable......Welcome to the Forum!!

monstermike4343

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
There are no known major issues with these bikes. They are very solid! We have members that are 40k miles and one at 60k miles. These are great bikes.

See red

My best advise as with 85% of most bikes, if you are going to ride it like ya stole it, or track days, pads and suspension are upgrades you will want. Touring, bag it tag it, and gear it.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

yfz6r

It's based off a previous gen r6 motor (can't recall which gen). People have easily gotten over 100k on r6's with just regular maintenance. An 09 fz6r is the same bike as a 2012 fz6r, just with a smaller price tag.

One of the problems I see is lack of upgrades/parts. Sure they are out there but not near as much as most other bikes. Exhaust is very expensive to upgrade. I don't think there are any proper adjustable rear-sets. No highway peg options unless you are crafty with metal fabrication.

I think I am spoiled, though, from having owned a fz1. That bike has the option of ever upgrade imaginable.

About looking at a bike, it is best to stay away from prior salvage titles. The frame could be bent or cracked and you have no idea because the bike looks flawless. When you go to look at one (if buying private party), go up to it and say something stupid like "whoah that is so cool. How fast can it go? How far can you do a wheelie?" Act like you want to do these things and see if the owner is abusing the bike. If he says I can keep a wheelie at 100mph, look elsewhere.

If someone says the bike has never been dropped, make sure it hasn't. Look at the bottom of the front turn sigs. They will be scuffed and people always forget to replace them when they replace the fairing. Even if it has been dropped, it's not that big of a deal if everything is straight. Just tell him to knock off a few hundred for lying.

Nit-pick everything you can. My brother does this. He can go up to a brand new car and make the owner think it's a piece of crap. If there is a little scratch, make it a big deal. If the handlebars have been adjusted, you may see a scratch and talk about how that will cause rust due to the exposed metal. The more you nit-pick the bike, the more the owner will think is wrong with it and the lower you can get the price. This is hard to do for me so I bring my brother along who is an expert. (In reality, he knows very little about cars and motorcycles).

Have someone call you while you are looking at the bike. Act like it is someone selling a motorcycle. Say something like what year? What is your bottom dollar today? Is that the fz1 or fz6? I am looking at an fz6 right now, I'll be over to look at yours in a half hour. Then look at the owner of the bike you are looking at and say I'm really not sure about owning a 1000 but it's the same price so I'm not sure.

Those are just all ways to lower the price. The fz6r is a good bike. If there isn't any noticable damage and the owner seems like a decent rider you probably can't go wrong with the bike. Good luck to you.

Yellow is the fastest color and the color particles reflect wind differently than other colors making ladies tops come off as you fly by them.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I'll echo what my fellow FZ6R'ers have said. It's a great bike that will run a very long time, as long as you stay up on the maintenance as with any bike. I am over 20,000 miles without any issues. I'm just now needing to replace the chain and brakes. So if you keep up with the general maintenance, there's no reason why any of us wouldn't see 100k miles out of our bikes!