Any additional mod suggestions to my setup?

egonline

This is my first post, and I'd like to say hello to everyone here. I recently bought a 2012 FZ6R as my second motorcycle. My first was a 2003 Suzuki GSX-R 600. I like that the FZ6R doesn't lean forward so much and is easier on my back and more comfortable to ride. Definitely liking the bike!

What I don't like about it, though, was how the bike looks straight stock. It's as if Yamaha tries to make the bike an ugly duckling out of the factory with it's ridiculous mirrors that make the bike look like an insect from the front; the front turn signals that stick out way too far and have too large of bulbs; and the rear fender that looks like a frightened animal's tail and ugly tail-lights to boot! However, you take those off and it's beautiful. It's like the ugly girl in the movie who lets her hair down, takes off the glasses, and puts on some decent clothes -- she had it all along, she just had to remove the stuff holding her back!

So, that being said, I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions of other things to add to my bike for either performance or purely aesthetic (looks) reasons.

Here are my bike's current mods. The bike is the black/red color model.

• Two Brothers "Black Series" Carbon Fiber FULL Exhaust
  • Two Brothers Juice Box Fuel Programmer
  • K&N Air Filter
  • Bike Master H.I.D. Headlights
  • Rear-fender Eliminator Kit
  • Smoked Double-Bubble Windscreen
  • Puig Rear-Wheel Hugger
  • Smoked LED Rear Tail Light w/ integrated LED turn signals
  • Galfer Front & Rear Braided Steel Brake Lines
  • Shogun Black No-cut Frame Sliders
  • TOP CNC Billet Aluminum Tomok Mirrors (Black) (Handlebar)
  • Mirror Block-off Plates
  • Removed red graphics from fairings (kept matte "Yamaha" at bottom) to make over-all appearance black
  • Removed rear grab bar
  • Removed amber reflectors

To-do List (input, please):
  • Shorty clutch and brake levers -- I'm thinking Pazzo Racing adjustable levers in black?
  • Flush-mount ghost smoked side turn signals, Rumble Concepts brand, but they need relay to normalize flash rate bringing over-all price to $100 -- it seems pricey for just some small flush turn signals.
  • Different gear/sprocket configuration -- maybe -1 or -2 in the back and +1 in front? It seems that the bike runs at high RPM at highway cruising speeds.
  • Gel handlebar grips and different grip-ends; any suggestions?
  • Ambient, subtle lighting inside the fairings, providing a subtle glow? Suggestions / comments?
  • Repainting the gas tank cover to remove the red/gray graphics painted on to it to go straight black, matching the removal of the graphics from the fairings. Any way to get this done really cheap?

Any other ideas of what I can do for performance and for looks? What do you think of the current configuration?

All input and criticism, constructive or not, is welcome :D.

Thanks!

Brandon

Ordering them now :D. Do I need anything to normalize the rate so that it keeps pace with the rear tail-light LED flashers integrated in my rear tail light?

Ordering them now :D. Do I need anything to normalize the rate so that it keeps pace with the rear tail-light LED flashers integrated in my rear tail light?

yes you will need a flasher relay to slow the flash rate down, pretty sure they're about 15 on ebay

Can we get some pics of your decked out fz6r? You have quite a few mods im interested in doing, but am not sold yet. Plus im interested in the mirrors and block off plates.

And id reccomend the Best deal for lever thread on here instead of pazzo, easily worth the 170$ LESS. Powdercoat them and get great looking levers for 15years and still come out 140$ less minimum.

damn..i guess i bought the wrong ones... :(

Can we get some pics of your decked out fz6r? You have quite a few mods im interested in doing, but am not sold yet. Plus im interested in the mirrors and block off plates.

And id reccomend the Best deal for lever thread on here instead of pazzo, easily worth the 170$ LESS. Powdercoat them and get great looking levers for 15years and still come out 140$ less minimum.

I'll take some pics as soon as I get it back from my mechanic as he is installing the last of the mods I had come in.

The mirrors are the following:

TOP CNC Billet Aluminium Side Mirrors Tomok Motocycle Fit For YAMAHA FZ6R 09 | eBay

I got the black ones. They do a pretty good job and look decent. With mirrors with this bike, it's tough to find any that look really good. I had seen photos of Ninja 250 mirrors fitted onto a FZ6R that looked pretty sweet, however, and can also advise those.

What other mods were you curious about? I'll let you know my experience and thoughts on them.

That I don't know. I'd assume there's only one stock relay on the bike and then they split after that, but I could be wrong. :confused:

There is only one stock relay. It's under the back seat towards the side stand(drivers side of a car). It's just a little box with a plug going into it. If you check out my flush mount install thread, it has a few pics of where it is and changing it.

Upgrade your shock and fork springs and put in heavier fork oil. Best performance mod you can do, and it's the biggest bang for your buck.

:needpics:
love you mod list.... please do post pics.

other suggestions maybe:
lower the front end
air box mod

Also as far as a cheap way to pain the tank??? most people simply cove them whith tank grips

but if you do want to repaint and dont want to drop a few hundred at a body shop you can look into plasti dip along with the glossifier.

Thanks. I will take pictures as soon as I get the bike back from my mechanic -- he's installing a few new mods that I had listed as we speak. He raced moto for 8 years and does motorcycle work on the side out of his fully equipped garage. He's the kind of guy who's more comfortable swapping out exhausts and switching the gears rather than installing electrical equipment like the Juice Box ;D. A good guy. If anyone is here in the St. Louis / St. Charles MO area, I'd highly recommend him.

I was pondering a tank grip. I suppose putting the black grips on the side of my tank to cover the red & grey painted graphics could do the trick, if only it is to cover the entire art work. Otherwise it'll look goofy. I might just have it painted or, as you suggested, plasti-dipped.

As for the front-end, I was thinking of having it lowered 5 or 6 MM and then checking to see how it rides, working all the way to 10mm. Is 5MM a drastic enough effect on the aesthetics? What about 10? I still want the bike to be stable at higher speeds, and not to scare the living ish out of me when I turn! :D

What kind of air-box mods can you suggest?

Thanks!

Mod Update

Here's an update to my original post --

LEVERS -

I have ordered the cheap levers mentioned in another post on this site. They were $34 and came in all sorts of configurations -- I ordered them in "shorty" size (two finger friendly), colored black with black adjustment kobs. They ship with both brake and clutch levers. It's a hell of a deal, as long as the levers AND the color last! The levers can be had at CNC Adjustable Clutch Brake Levers Set for BMW.

FLUSH MOUNT TURN SIGNALS -

I decided to go with a cheaper brand mentioned here by member 06330i. I get the smoke dark coloring and they're a hell of a lot cheaper than the Rumble Concepts brand. I will need to order a flash normalizer, though. They're at LED FLUSHMOUNT TURN SIGNALS YAMAHA YZFR1 R6 FZ1 FZ6 R1 AMBER FLASHER SMOKE LENS | eBay

BAR ENDS & GRIPS -

I ordered D3 bar ends and grips, black aluminum sleeve and black grip. They can be seen at Suzuki GSXR, GSXR1000,GSXR 1000, Driven D3,D-3, D 3, Alumitech Grips. All Colors | eBay.

Actually now that I'm looking at my order, I think I ordered the wrong bar-ends; if so I'll try and return them for the ones I wanted. It appears the image changed on the auction, if that's even possible.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Back