Another speedometer accuracy test.

geko

Got a GPS for the bike yesterday so got it installed on to the bike last night.

Today went out in my VW Golf with the new GPS on a flat, straight road in an open area – that is no buildings, trees, direction or elevation changes.

In the Golf with 1/3rd warn tyres (tires :)) the speedometer consistently reads 2mph faster than the speed indicated on the GPS between 30mph and 70mph

Swapped the GPS on to the XJ6 Diversion, stock gearing, 2,300 miles on the original tyres.

At 30mph on the XJ6 speedometer the GPS reads 27mph
At 70mph on the XJ6 speedometer the GPS reads 66mph
At 75mph on the XJ6 speedometer the GPS reads 70mph

Since the maximum speed in the UK is 70MPH I didn’t go any faster ‘cause I’m a good boy. ;)

Although it appears the Yamaha speedo error increases with speed unlike the Golf, within the road legal speed range I'd say it ain't far enough out to be worth worrying about.

Pete

Last edited:

2w05thletes

That seems to be pretty consistent with what I'm getting on my GPS vs Speedo. The faster I get the more discrepancy there is.

PaulinItaly

At an indicated motorcycle 140kph I am seeing about 133kph on the GPS - which I guess is roughly consistent with what you are getting. (I suppose I could know for sure, but I don't feel like whipping out the calculator ;-)

nashvillenobody

I checked mine against my gps and found similiar numbers as well. At 75mph on the speedo the gps was saying 68

amg14

i was actually wondering about my 09' fz6r's speedometer myself. while breaking my bike in for the first 1000 miles i spent a lot of time being passed by other vehicles which i am not used to while driving my car. on the highway, it was a given since i stayed under 6k for the first 600mi and under 7k till 1000mi. as we know at that rpm range we're going between 60-70ish (stock gearing). in michigan the speed limit is 70mph on most highways. anyways, while riding on and off the highway i am getting passed up more than i do when in my civic while doing the same speeds that are being displayed on my bike; both of which i do 5mph over off the highway and 9-10mph over while on the highway.

has anyone out there done some testing on our speedometers to determine its accuracy:confused:. i have to get my friend to test this while i ride my bike and he drives his car or something...

Mr Citrus

i was actually wondering about my 09' fz6r's speedometer myself. while breaking my bike in for the first 1000 miles i spent a lot of time being passed by other vehicles which i am not used to while driving my car. on the highway, it was a given since i stayed under 6k for the first 600mi and under 7k till 1000mi. as we know at that rpm range we're going between 60-70ish (stock gearing). in michigan the speed limit is 70mph on most highways. anyways, while riding on and off the highway i am getting passed up more than i do when in my civic while doing the same speeds that are being displayed on my bike; both of which i do 5mph over off the highway and 9-10mph over while on the highway.

has anyone out there done some testing on our speedometers to determine its accuracy:confused:. i have to get my friend to test this while i ride my bike and he drives his car or something...
I'll ride by the speed signs(heres a pic because I'm not sure on the real name.)

and my speedo will be 4-5mph off regularly. Kind of scary. I just try to keep with the majority of the traffic flow, and a little quicker when I feel safe.

Roaddawg

I'll ride by the speed signs(heres a pic because I'm not sure on the real name.)

and my speedo will be 4-5mph off regularly. Kind of scary. I just try to keep with the majority of the traffic flow, and a little quicker when I feel safe.
That's just referred to as a radar trailer.

As for the speedo, its off 7-8%...why? who knows, but all the FZ6R's seem to be the same. But, if you put on a +1 front sprocket (17 tooth), it puts the speedo almost dead on accurate. Search the front sprocket threads for more information about that mod.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Roaddawg

The question I'd have is how does the +1 front sprocket affect the odometer? Does the Odometer also have an error and will then be corrected? Or is it just the spedometer that suffers the error and the odometer will now have an error?
The stock odometer is also inaccurate. With the +1, I used mile post markers to compare it and it was on.

txjames

Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

redwing-2001

every motorcycle I have ever owned across all brands did the same thing you are indicating. Be safe, enjoy the ride.

Chris6R

I checked mine against my gps and found similiar numbers as well. At 75mph on the speedo the gps was saying 68
I hope somebody sees that I'm posting to this comment to help me out I got a 2009 FZ6R and I'm running into the issue of speedometer being off and I don't have access to any kind of computer to be able to check it but in 6th gear my speedometer reads 47, 58, 69 and so on at 4000, 5000, and 6,000 rpm respectively when I use the GPS"s on my phone I used Google and the Waze app and they both read the same at 4000 RPM I'm actually doing by My math I'm doing damn near 41.5 mph and at 5000 RPM I'm doing 51 mph flat as long as I'm doing my math right at what the difference is starting at 10 mph I was doing 11.2mph it must also be noted on the lower speeds I did check by having somebody checking with a speed gun that showed the same speed as the neighbor's car did on the speedometer
Only things that I know are done to the bike for sure is I believe it is called Areo 1, or A1 slip-on exhaust from two brothers and the power commander they send with it and the front sprocket is a 15 tooth and the rear is a 47 tooth any ideas as to what it might be if it's a part or the tune and just in case it matters the tire I'm using on it is a 180-70-17R

jjmaine

I’d just note the difference in speedo reading and actual speed and keep it in mond when reading. All motorcycle speedos from what I understand, read high from the factory because there are hefty penalties if the speedo reads lower than your actual speed so to be on the safe side they do that on purpose. To me, it doesn’t matter as oong as I have a general idea on how much it is off.

And why on earth would you run a 180 back tire?🥹

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member