Another member bites the dust

b_who

BUT atleast it was caught on video :D :eek: lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZRd_95b3Fk"]The CRASH - YouTube[/ame]

my rear tire just gave out on me damnit, my fault for not taking it easy sense it was a new tire and only had about 100 miles on it before the crash:eek:
For what happened just the handle bar got bent and my frame slider got trashed but that's because it took almost ALLLLL the damage pretty much.
Ill upload some pics of the damage in a little bit but its hardly an considering

oh and i had my 2piece suit on so didn't get a single scratch or even a bruise so over all, lesson learned and i cant wait to get back on GMR and get my revenge on that curve :sinister:

Last edited:

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

Spunky99

That is a total bummer.....Glad you weren't hurt!

b_who

Glad to see your in one piece.

Looked like there was a drop off on the outside of that curve. Glad your momentum didn't carry you over.

Looks like you were standing when you stopped.

Did you roll on too soon or was it actual tire failure?
Yea a pretty gnarly drop off which had me worried my bike was gonna go over. No i came to a stop be4 the dirt and got on my feet be4 i even came to a stop and ran to my bike to make sure the motor cutoff and turn it off and made sure i was out of anybody's way
i was mad at myself but once we got it up and looked at it I was extremely pleased with minimal damage of it sliding a good amount of feet and taking a quick tumble.
I was very Blessed and lucky of the out come and was as you can guess extremely happy.

I'm not to sure what caused it, i had the throttle cracked midway but it was just to maintain my speed. my guess is that my tires either were't warmed up enough or i just simply ran out of tire from leaning
but there was a long crack dead center in the road that when i watched the video i went over and lost it right after. So my conclusion is I have no clue :confused:

Anybody else got any thoughts of why i lost it?
I'm running Michelin's Pilot Power 2CT's front and back and the rear had only 100 miles on it if that, probally between 80 and a 100

flyingminno

Oh dang man, I know the corner you went off on too..I'm glad you're alright to ride again another day! Well the tires are pretty new, its possible they weren't entirely broken in yet and there could have been the oily film still on the very edge of the tire that had not been heated off yet from riding.

Spunky99

Oh dang man, I know the corner you went off on too..I'm glad you're alright to ride again another day! Well the tires are pretty new, its possible they weren't entirely broken in yet and there could have been the oily film still on the very edge of the tire that had not been heated off yet from riding.
I agree with the tires not being scrubbed in yet and they just didn't hold. They could have been cold or a tire pressure as well that added to the low side.
There is no point going into details of your line etc as you weren't going that fast for the nuances of riding to have been that big of a factor. It looked like you hit an oil patch or an oily part of the tire to me.

Detrich

Ack! Sorry to hear about the mishap, but good thing you are ok and bike's not too badly damaged.

Hard to tell from the video, but I would also take a guess and say the tires maybe are still too new. Generally, I wouldn't ride too hard on any tires under 200 miles. The 6R is also a heavy bike. So you have to be going pretty fast to sustain an aggressive lean- kinda a catch 22.

Hope u get her fixed and back in the saddle. I love GMR too, but I ride pretty conservatively. All the fast guys just blow by me... LOL

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

wow did you happen to look around to see if there was any spots in that corner? sure looks like you ran over something from sliding out that far; would think you'd get more of a quick short slide than snap back again if it was from the tire lack of traction

glad it wasn't too bad!

longtube55

As far as why you lost it I can tell you for sure that it was the tires not being broken in. My friend rides a ninja 650r and he had the same tires on when he ate it on a low speed turn non the less. For some reason Michelin tires require closer to 125 miles of break in. Don't ask me why bcuz I have no idea, but I promise you thats why it slid out from under you. I run Pirelli Angel ST's and those require less than 100 miles of break in. It's all about the compound. Glad to hear you're alive and well, would have sucked massive donkey balls if the bike or you had kept going. Scary thought.

SSgtBaarnes

I layed my bike down on December 10th running a new tire, also Michelin. Just didn't think it was that much of an issue but I was obviously wrong. Bike is still in shop with $3900 worth of damage. (left fairing, front fairing, left bar, frame slider, rear "whale-tail" assembly, mirrors, and fuel tank among others) Hopefully be back up soon. Luckily I was in full leather when I went down and after a few flips and sliding on my back I stood up and walked off the road. The only gear that was totaled was my Schoei RF-1100....damnit!! At the end of the day, the gear works and I walked away from it. Still sucks, but the alternative leaves a lot to be desired.

Spunky99

So it would appear the Michelin tires need more break-in than just a fast scrub in.
That is a very valuable lesson for us all....

We appreciate your efforts Gentlemen. You have saved us all a lot of grief.;)

flyingminno

So it would appear the Michelin tires need more break-in than just a fast scrub in.

I did notice this as well, they didn't grip the road quite as well as the Dunlops until about 300 miles, then they surpassed them and felt secure to the road.

b_who

Lol wish i knew before i became the damn Guinea pig

Anywaysss here are the pictures i promised

These are right after the crash

And here's a pic of the frame sliders that saved a lot of my bike and probably my leg from getting slammed on by the bike

the gear that saved me from pulling rocks out of my skin

atleast i got my knee down good :rolleyes:

and here she is all nice and cleaned up

here are the tires were my dumb ass didn't break in enough to be riding like i was

RoadTrip

I dunno about the break in thing, although I do believe that some tires reach their full potential several hundred miles (or more importantly, several heat cycles) into their life.

Seems like those tires should have been warmed up by the time you lost the rear (I watched the long version as well); while I am certainly no expert, and you may well be a better rider than me, I can tell you that it seemed you were leaning the bike a bit more that you needed to.

I have embarrassingly large chicken strips myself (3/4 inch), but I still ride quiet fast through corners, but I really focus on keeping the bike upright as much as possible with body on inside. Your position appeared good on the inside, but maybe the lean angle was more aggressive than needed. I noticed that on some corners you finished with a real power carve move just before you stood the bike up, maybe those little power moves are pushing the tires over the limit for that small instant.

Anyway, just trying to be helpful, not a know it all, I think being smooth and actually avoiding too much lean angle is the best policy - I know there are a lot of great riders who can drag knees on the streets, but honestly I just want to be safe, and always try to keep the bike as settled as possible, and well below traction limits. Glad you are okay.

b_who

The throttle was closed through the turn because it wasnt my intention to be going that fast, that turn caught me of guard because its the 1st time ive taken that rode but i thought id have a better chance of making it through it then standing the bike up and trying to brake in 20ft while going about 45mph, and i scrubbed the tires in with some 60 grit sandpaper when i got home thats why the tires don't look so slick like they did. I scrubbed them in extra good to make sure any slickness was gone because my accident could of bin a lot worse and i don't wanna repeat that again.

yea i think leaned the bike to hard and ive watched the vid about 30 times now lol and i need to lower my upper body when i hang off i think

Anybody got any insight on body positioning? please be gently on critiquing my body position :surrender: ha

Spunky99

What were you doing with the throttle at the time?
I his defense, I had new Metzler Sportec M5 Interact tires installed on my FZ6R with maybe 300 easy miles on them when I totaled my bike. To this day I keep wondering why they kept skidding with minimal rear brake pressure and I think I know why now.
It could be because they needed several heat cycles and a lot more scrubbing than I gave them before I put them to the ultimate test under heavy braking..
I feel the same with the mew bike. I have maybe 600 miles on the new tires and they are just starting to feel right. Before I thought the rear felt slippery but it doesn't feel that way now. Maybe we are on to something here....?