Another cheap DIY FE for integrated lights

tzrox

I ordered a new integrated taillight from motodynamic and decided to remove the fender while I'm at it. Very much like the way it looks now.

Parts:
1x 10"x4" aluminum sheet from ACE hardware - $2.99
4x M8x1.25 self locking nylon nuts - .99 (lowes) (to match original bolts)
4x Washers - $.79 (lowes)
1x 4"x4" (ish) piece of rubber if you have it (i used an old bicycle inter tube)

I removed the fender, then bent the Aluminum sheet into an "L" so that it fit in the original place.

Made two cuts into the aluminum bracket so that I could bend down 90 degrees the small notch that would act as a cover over the hole where the original wires previously came from (see photo)

Then I marked the 4 holes from the top and drilled them out.

I Placed a small sheet of rubber on top of the bracket before attaching to bike using original screws in an attempt to keep water from going between the metal/screws and into the hole for the original wiring.

I drilled two holes and attached the original license plate holder upside down so that it would angle the license plate toward the light.

Finally, sanded it down a bit with some fine sandpaper so that it was not sharp around the edges and so that the paint would stick, and painted it black.

This was made for a FE that has integrated blinkers in the tail light but if someone wanted to, they could add a "U" shaped section that attaches to the same screws the original license plate holder attaches on this bracket, to get the two extra sides to mount blinkers, if they wanted. I had enough material from the 4x10 sheet to do this, but one could purchase another sheet to set up something with a bit more support.

I also cut mine a bit long because I had originaly planned on supporting the license plate from the bottom, but it felt secure with just the top so I left it. I'd still like to go back and paint all the nuts/bolts black so its less visible, but for now it will do.

Anyway, just thought i'd share in case anyone was interested :)

Excuse the messy garage, was moving some stuff around earlier in the week.

Attachments

Last edited:

alh081

good job. i think DIY FE is best. cant justify $50+ for a FE

Y

yellowfz

Nice build, how did you get the clear area under the tail light for license plate illumination?

JSP

Super Moderator
Nice build, how did you get the clear area under the tail light for license plate illumination?
The sequential aftermarket taillight comes with it built in.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Or just bend it out a little more as well.

tzrox

Looks great althoug please do note other members have had the tire hit FE and bend like crazy. some say the fix is to set the rear suspension to be stiffer (thats what she said). lol either way great job....
I'll definitely check the clearance when I'm on it. I don't think it gets too close with bumps and with me being 160lbs, but I didn't even think about that.

tzrox

wow! looks really good!
Thanks, I like it too.

I did bend out the plate to get some more room just in case. I was out riding tonight and went over some very rough train tracks that bounced me off the seat. Tire never touched the plate so I think I should be ok.

Snot Rod

Nice work TZROX. I have two questions, though:
1. Do you have the lowering link installed?
2. Where is your inspection sticker?

Paul

Crpngdth

Thanks, I like it too.

I did bend out the plate to get some more room just in case. I was out riding tonight and went over some very rough train tracks that bounced me off the seat. Tire never touched the plate so I think I should be ok.
stand on those pegs and take your butt of the seat, then it wont happen again :D

its a good habit to get used to and wont shorten the life of that suspension.

tzrox

stand on those pegs and take your butt of the seat, then it wont happen again :D

its a good habit to get used to and wont shorten the life of that suspension.

Hehe, yeah I know to do that when I anticipate it. This bastard got me by surprise on a seemingly flat road.

This is perfect. I have the same aftermarket taillight and didn't realize that it didn't come with a bracket! I can't find any under $55, which is ludicrous. Thanks so much for posting this. I'll definitely be fabbing my own now.

Motomama

Thank you.....! Just got the integrated tail light installed last night and need to do the same for my license plate.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2