Am I out of my mind?

ajiribarren

Hello guys, I have an XJ6 2009 and has been really reliable so far, can't complain on the bike. Rain, highway, city commuting, the bike has seen it all and honestly can't really complain at all on the performance on the bike in any situation I have put it through.

So, why I keep looking at other bikes, and keep walking into dealers asking for a trade-in price for other bikes? My g/f thinks I'm out of my mind.

I've spent hard earn money modding my XJ6, adding a full exhaust, Vario Windscreen, Peg risers, Techspec Grips, even I have on my way a PCV and Autotune and a Evotech Fender Eliminator, but the outcome is the same. Even though I know for sure that this bike can and will outperform any situation I will put it through, I just don't feel "in love" with her as I can read countless times from other members who almost worship their bikes.

My latest incursion into a dealer was to look at a KTM Duke 690. I even took a test ride. A really nice bike, completely different to the XJ6. Naked, a thumper with 65 hp (55 more likely at the weel), completely adjustable WP suspension, high bars, and about 130 pound lighter than the XJ6. It was sure a very different experience riding it through the streets, the first minutes just feeling completely awkward on such a machine, but in the end feeling that I could get used to it.

So, given the choice, would any trade their machines for a Duke 690, or I'm just out of my mind? I feel I'm always changing something in the XJ6 to make it better here or there, but I really don't know If in the end I'll ever be content enough, and I already have put enough money on it to loose some more in trying to adjust it to my liking if in the end I end up trading it or selling it.

Am I out of my mind for thinking of such a trade ?

Cheers guys

KamiKaziCalm

Well in my experience with anything I have owned I always want to change and upgrade whatever I have be it a bike, car or electronics. but thats me. I haven't personally ridden the ktm 690 but have ridden other supermotos. They are alot of fun but you cant or at least I wouldn't tour or ride long distances on it. Commuting on them is a lot of fun. But even if you traded your xj6 in for the ktm you would feel the need to upgrade it as well and starting all over with a fresh bike and new mods adds up quick as we all know. So myself I wouldn't say your out of your mind just human lol. I wouldn't trade the xj6 in on it myself especially if you want to tour at all and already feel a lil different about it. But it makes since because its a very different bike with a different kind of rider in mind then the xj6. my .02 good luck on your decision tho cuz its just all about personal preferences

Kspalla

I have found myself looking at other bikes but more of a upgrade within the same "Family" of bikes... I don't think that I will upgrade anytime soon but there is an excitement in looking at what could be. I personally wouldn't switch over to a supermoto, but again just my preference. Good luck on the choices/decision... kamikazi is right though if you have the urge to customize that bad you will be sinking that money into whatever bike you get!

Again best of luck :)

Chucker

You need to ask yourself, is it the bike, or do I just constantly want change. If it is the latter, you're probably going to tire of the KTM and want to change after a while. If you can afford that, then make the change. Maybe what you like about biking is trying out new bikes and types of bikes. Nothing wrong with that if you've got the cash.

Bigevildoer

If you're going to take such a big loss, you might as well try to minimize it on a larger bike. The dealers will probably give you a bit more of a trade in on the KTM SuperDuke. It's a better bike anyways - motor is pretty much bullet proof.

Queen

Maybe you just want to own lots of motorcycles... but budgetary constraints limit you to doing that one at a time?

joloy133

The XJ6 is the entry level "sportbike" and the Ktm 690 is the entry level supermoto. If you need the challenge of more bike, I would choose the next step up in the right category. If it's in the KTM family: the 990 superduke or the 990 Supermoto, maybe the 990 adventure? I've ridden the 990 adventure and the power is nice with a sensitive throttle, not too twitchy. To be honest, I haven't exceeded in ability what the FZ6R can deliver. My mods are to fine tune the experience and pride in ownership so to speak. Good luck!

JonKerr

Elite Member

sammy56

So I just can't help myself after seeing this thread continue for a few days....
Is it wrong for me to reply simply "yes" :justkidding: :p :p

LB

CDN6R

Myself I have had a few bikes in the past and after a few years of having no bike (15) I really like my FZ6R. It does everything I want and gets great gas mileage too. I just wish that the naked XJ6 (yellow) was avaliable when I was looking, cause I do love that look over my FZ6R.

ajiribarren

Guys, thanks for the replies! Definitively, I haven't reached the XJ6 potential and it will outperform any situation I'll put it through. After giving it a lot of thought, I think I would love to own a Duke, but maybe as a second bike. It makes no sense to trade the XJ6 for a Duke as my only means of transportation. I feel I got carried away by all the pretty colors and the showroom vibe than anything else.

The rational part of my brain says is not worth to get rid of a perfectly good bike. The other part of my brain definitively wants to own a lot of different bikes! Now, how to keep things in control between these two? :p

I think I'll focus on the suspension of the XJ6 as I had planned and after the install of the PCV see how I feel with it. If I still feel the itch, maybe find a cheap second hand motard, or know for sure that I need something different that ticks better than the XJ6.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

i want to upgrade too, but it seems kinda pricey... i need to shop around for cheaper insurance if i want 2 bikes... xP

e.blackadder

I’d say it’s normal. Bikes for us are a bit like shoes and handbags for the estrogen folk. I like my FZ6R, but if I could also afford the Super Tenere … and Ninja 1000 … and Yamaha Stryker … and HD Fat Boy … and Ducati Diavel … and …

Just look at Jay Leno. Perfectly normal fella sans cash flow concerns.