Almost took a spill...

indian9990

Hi guys,

I was leaving the gym yesterday and I took a right turn from the gym shopping complex onto the main road. I obviously accelerate to switch to the right late but when I did that I noticed the light turned yellow. I was riding with a buddy and he was quite a ways behind me and so I tried to come to a stop to wait for him. I didn't realize how fast I was going and ended up locking up my rear wheel. I also didn't have nearly enough stopping room. It was crazy! I slide a little into the intersection and when I felt the wheel come back to center I let off the brake and went through the intersection!

So glad I managed to recover and didn't spill.

Anyways,
I also had a question about riding rpms. Where do you guys usually ride at? I usually stick around 5 - 6k. Just wondering what others stick too.

PS,
TBR exhaust = awesome mod. Videos don't do it justice.

Hi guys,

I was leaving the gym yesterday and I took a right turn from the gym shopping complex onto the main road. I obviously accelerate to switch to the right late but when I did that I noticed the light turned yellow. I was riding with a buddy and he was quite a ways behind me and so I tried to come to a stop to wait for him. I didn't realize how fast I was going and ended up locking up my rear wheel. I also didn't have nearly enough stopping room. It was crazy! I slide a little into the intersection and when I felt the wheel come back to center I let off the brake and went through the intersection!

So glad I managed to recover and didn't spill.

Anyways,
I also had a question about riding rpms. Where do you guys usually ride at? I usually stick around 5 - 6k. Just wondering what others stick too.

PS,
TBR exhaust = awesome mod. Videos don't do it justice.
My only advice, leave the clutch out and use the rear brake progressively. This will prevent locking up. What i do is I engage both brakes slightly, increase front till comfortable and begin pressing rear until i am fully stopped.

I shift somewhere in the broad region of 5k-9k depending on if i want to rev more. But cruising im in 6th highway or 5th or 4th on back roads. And i think your speed matters more to a cop than your rpms :p

Last edited:

indian9990

My only advice, leave the clutch out and use the rear brake progressively. This will prevent locking up. What i do is I engage both brakes slightly, increase front till comfortable and begin pressing rear until i am fully stopped.

I shift somewhere in the broad region of 5k-9k depending on if i want to rev more. But cruising im in 6th highway or 5th or 4th on back roads. And i think your speed matters more to a cop than your rpms :p
I'll keep that in mind next time. Thanks! :)

Good to know! That's usually where I am too. Haha I agree but I was just curious mainly. I didn't wanna over work the engine or anything.

RooKie

Agreed.

Stopping compresses the front and reduces the amount of traction to the rear. This is why it's best practice to press both brakes evenly at first and slowly apply increasing pressure on the front brake for more sudden stops.

As far as RPMs -> Most people agree that 5-7 k/rpm is optimum, but I personally prefer to cruise around 4k in the city and do my shifting around 6-7k.

6 k/rpm = better acceleration to avoid any obstacles
4 k/rpm = better mpg (I'm cheap :p)

Agreed.

Stopping compresses the front and reduces the amount of traction to the rear. This is why it's best practice to press both brakes evenly at first and slowly apply increasing pressure on the front brake for more sudden stops.

As far as RPMs -> Most people agree that 5-7 k/rpm is optimum, but I personally prefer to cruise around 4k in the city and do my shifting around 6-7k.

6 k/rpm = better acceleration to avoid any obstacles
4 k/rpm = better mpg (I'm cheap :p)
Also my MSF instructors said something about how if you progressively use the front brake, you wont lock up your front tire. The trick is not to quickly pull the brake and not bottom out the fork. Its saved my butt many times. In an emergency only focus on your front brake. Studies have shown in a panic people can only focus on one fine action at a time. I would rather have 70% of my braking power than lock up my front and fall.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

floki

Every so often, about every 3 months I go to an abandoned parking lot and practice emergency stops for a solid 15-20 minutes. It is the most important skill anyone needs to ride a motorcycle on the street. I suggest you spend some time understanding the way your bike behaves under extreme braking. I know when I switched from the ninja 250 to my FZ I had problems locking the rear.

indian9990

Thanks guys! I think I'm going to take it to a parking lot soon and practice stopping. I have been meaning to do that for a while but it's always raining in the afternoon when I get off work. Rain might also be a good way to test out breaking and how to handle the rear wheel slipping.

I do use both breaks though. I never just use the front. I remember my training when the instructor said to use both breaks so you get into the habit.