Aggressive riding?

6R Blackout

Does anyone drive somewhat aggressive at times? No, I don't mean crazy or stupid, but in a way as to be aware and knowing your surroundings just incase a cager does not see you! I myself tend to always drive a little more aggressive even at slower speeds (25mph) all the way through to freeway speeds. I often look around quite a bit to try to see what is coming, going and stopping, etc. I try to always be as safe as possible, and though I don't have all the gear, I do wear what I do have and I do believe in "ATGATT".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!

DragonBlu

Yes but I don't call it aggressive. I call it spirited riding and my head and eyes are turning 360 degrees always. I want to know what is going on around me at all times. 45 years experience on the street. ;)

yfz6r

Only when I need to. No reason to otherwise. I do cross the bridge and hit about 90 on the IL flats to "escape" after a big test or something like that.

Millhouse

I tend to be on the aggressive side when I ride. It is usually a bi-product of me getting pissed at cagers that like to do 52 in a 55 and cruise in the left lane blocking you from passing and going about your way. I try not to be stupid when I ride as far as speeds and unnecessary risks, I just don't let cagers f@$k with me lol.

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

Spitfire

I thought it was called defensive when you drive cautiously?

Aggressive to me is weaving in and out of traffic without a care in the world...

I drive defensively. I still accelerate pretty hard but I don't speed or weave around traffic...

Bloke

Er aggressive = riding like a twat. It'll get you killed.

Defensive = too late, with good riding technique you shouldn't have to defend anything.

Assertive = what you want to be aiming for.

You're observant, confident and make clearly indicated manouvers to other road users. You ride in a predictable manner to enable cagers to have a chance of seeing you, you position yourself to be clearly visible at all times and you ride at a speed that enables you to take avoiding action should the worst happen.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Spitfire

Defensive = too late, with good riding technique you shouldn't have to defend anything.

You're observant, confident and make clearly indicated manouvers to other road users. You ride in a predictable manner to enable cagers to have a chance of seeing you, you position yourself to be clearly visible at all times and you ride at a speed that enables you to take avoiding action should the worst happen.

Well "take avoiding action should the worst happen" means defensive to me. I agree with what you said though =]

MikeN02

Like others I wouldn't really call it aggressive riding unless you're weaving in and out. I'm more of a laid back rider now since I've had a couple of tickets.

Always on the look-out yes, I typically keep a look out in case a driver doesn't see me by looking at its wheels and line.

Also don't like to be next to Semi's so I speed past them.

Millhouse

Also don't like to be next to Semi's so I speed past them.
Agreed. I always make sure the lane ahead of me is clear past the front of the truck. I then drop it down a gear or two depending on my current speed and rip past the truck. I don't like the idea of a huge chunk of tire coming off and wasting me or the driver not seeing me in his blind spot and coming over on me.

Bloke

Well "take avoiding action should the worst happen" means defensive to me. I agree with what you said though =]
The key is what was said before that. It's not that you're taking avoiding action (defensive). It's that you've left yourself some thinking time in order to do it :)

Osoreru

This is a pretty good way of looking at it I think. Just gets into semantics more than anything. To me, defensive driving has always been "taking every precaution, even driving more aggressively, to stay away from danger at all costs and be constantly aware of my surroundings." I do this far more when on the motorcycle, but I even do it in my cage. I don't trust anybody else to avoid me, so I watch and try very hard to avoid them.

Aggressive driving is, for the most part (at least where I live and how I was taught), considered to be "doing something stupid that is going to get you or somebody else hurt". i.e. weaving in and out of traffic with almost no warning or room to spare. I watched a guy on a gsxr the other day staying in people's blind spots then shooting between multiple vehicles and lane splitting with only inches to spare. That is what I consider not only aggressive, but excessive. One tiny mishap and he would have been run over and/or crushed between vehicles. Or both.

Captain_Kev

I believe "spirited" is a better word for the kind of riding you're describing...

Constant "aggressive" riding in the city or on the highway will eventually bite you in the ass and should be reserved for the twisties/track. But that doesn't mean that you still can't have a bit of fun... blasting away first in line at a stop light and shifting only once you've hit 5 above is always good fun :)

wtnotch

Agreed. I always make sure the lane ahead of me is clear past the front of the truck. I then drop it down a gear or two depending on my current speed and rip past the truck. I don't like the idea of a huge chunk of tire coming off and wasting me or the driver not seeing me in his blind spot and coming over on me.

+1 on this. I wouldn't call it aggressive though. On the freeways especially, I usually drive a little faster than the flow of traffic, avoid blindspots, minimize the time that I'm beside cars and kind of treat the ride like a slow speed slalom course. I've been run into from behind a couple times and would rather have me be in control rather than depending on the cages to see me.

Chucker

my head and eyes are turning 360 degrees always
I wish I could do this, but I think it might freak out the other drivers, while making me quite dizzy. :p

I drive in an anticipative manner. I watch what is happening around me and try to anticipate the bonehead moves others are going to make. It helps me move to a safe zone or honk the horn before they invade my space. I also try to drive a little quicker than the rest of the traffic. I believe it helps as you need to worry more about what's happening in front than behind. I've only got 31 years of experience driving, but 15 of it was as a courier in Toronto, and I find watching others and anticipating their moves works best for me.

To me, aggressive can mean "taking initiative" or "driving like a squid". If we're talking about the former, then I would say I drive aggressively.

Grumpy

I like to think of it as having a strong "situational awareness", to steal a phrase from flight school. I'm always scanning the road ways and side walks, mirrors, and instruments.

Spunky99

I like to think of it as having a strong "situational awareness", to steal a phrase from flight school. I'm always scanning the road ways and side walks, mirrors, and instruments.
Exactly......"Situational Awareness".
Coming in for a landing with flaps up is spirited but not dangerous and is practiced by pilots in case the flaps fail. Situational awareness and being at least 2 or 3 steps ahead of the game is what keeps you out of trouble no matter how slow or fast you drive. Cagers drive like they are asleep and if a motorcyclist drove like that He/She would be dead fast.

It is a little bit of an overload (stressful) at first to drive like grumpy describes but it gets easier as you get used to the routine. I drive spirited when I can but you have to recognize the danger zones and allow for emergency avoidance maneuvers there. Bikes accelerate fast so you can have some fun as long as you allow for the cagers that are mostly ignorant of their surroundings.

MikeN02

Same with the trucks with questionable items in the back, or the tow trucks as well.

6R Blackout

I have to agree with "situational awareness", I guess that is what I was getting at when I started this thread, I mean no matter how aware you are as a rider you can never be too careful. It's almost as if you need to heighten your senses and kick in a 6th sense. As stated before you have to almost know what the other driver is going to do before they do it! So when I said aggressive I mean more aware and ready to make a move as to be safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!

DragonBlu

Oh hell,that's what i was trying to say. My head won't spin a 360 any more unless I pass a girl in hot pink shorts.:D