advice on new bike

csinsc

Hi all,

I am a new member and I am totally confused and in need of some guidance.

I currently own a Kawa 250 ninja and am looking for a bigger upright sport, cruiser, all around good time bike.

I had it narrowed down to the FZ6R and when I was at the dealership today, the owner really pushed me towards the FZ6. Saying it was a much better manufactured bike, with higher quality parts...and the prices are exactly the same.

I would be inclined to agree with him (frame is cast aluminum, four piston caliper brakes, etc) but am concerned about the lower end of the FZ6 power band. Specifically, this part from a 2007 review in ultimate motorcycling.

"The FZ6 is seriously underpowered below 6,000 rpm. At that point, it starts to pull smartly, but most FZ6 riders won't be spinning the bike that high around town. At the lower engine speeds, the bike is seriously sluggish when hitting the throttle. It almost feels like turbo lag.

This makes the bike tricky to ride in-town. If you shift up to put the engine into a relaxed state of revolution, the power isn't there when you need it. I find the alternative of buzzing around town annoying.

In comparison, the Ducati Monster 695 redlines at 10,000 rpm and has plenty of power right off idle. A redline of 14,000 rpm makes sense on a track, but it's wholly inappropriate for a bike aimed at commuters and more casual riders. If Yamaha would slide the powerband from 6k-14k to 2k-10k, they'd have a great bike. Instead, the flawed motor tuning repeatedly found me longing for an engine that matched the rest of the package."

Sorry for the long message, but I am looking for a power band from about 2k - 8k, would I be better off with the FZ6R?

I believe I would be better off with the FZ6R, but he put doubts in my head... I have been over to the FZ6 forums and they have a devout following.

Thanks,

Chris
csinsc

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
From my experience, the FZ6R pulls harder than the FZ6 at lower rpm's. But once you get into the top-end, the FZ6 pulls harder due to the increased horsepower. Yamaha made the FZ6R with a torquier low- to mid-range engine so that it was a smoother ride for beginners.

So yes, the FZ6R would be the better choice if you are looking for something with a usable powerband in the low rpm range. But don't doubt the bike's abilities in the higher rpm's as well. It will get up and go when you want it to. This is a great all around commuter and weekend warrior type bike. It handles well and is uber comfortable for riding on long trips.

You wouldn't be disappointed with this bike. :thumbup:

zig308

This is my first bike, and the power is just fine for me. I've ridden a CBR600 before and that definitely has more power, but the FZ6R is juuusssst fine.

The FZ6R has plenty of power with the controlability not to get my newb self in trouble.

Just get what you want and let the dealer drive what he wants.

KelownaKeith

Most twin engines, like the Ducati have more low end grunt, generally speaking.

I think most of us in town run the FZ6R around 4000 rpm, I do anyway, there is nothing under 3500 and there is no reason to run at such a low engine speed. If you want grunt at 2000 RPM, I think you gotta look at a Harley:)

The FZ6R pulls strongly from 4500 and turns demon at 8000. What I like about the bike is the huge usable power band to use as you like. Loafing around town (3500-5000), enthusiastic riding (5000-8000) or really hauling ass, (8000+) it can do it all. Just depends what your mood is.

You won't be sorry with the FZ6R, trust us.

Allan

Have had the FZ6R now for just over 700km's - thus, still riding in the 5800rpm to 6000rpm range. Even so, the bike is plently "rideable" in town - you don't need to scream through the revs to get low end power. Awsome bike - you won't be dissapointed!!

JonKerr

Elite Member

fz6rwolf

I'll have to agree with above posters. I came from cruisers with alot of low end torque and was pleasently surprised with how effortlessly it is to ride in city traffic as well as out on 2-lane blacktop in the country, as for highway it does just fine also up to about 80-85 it'll get up and move, after that it takes a little bit to get going faster but it will. I had it up past 120mph showing and had bit more but that's faster than I want to go again anyway.
As far as brakes, sure they're just 2 caliper but it stops just fine, bigger brakes I think would be touchier and much easier to lock up which isn't a good thing unless you're into stoppies.
This is a very good all-around bike, not the best at any one thing but more than adequate at everything.

FitZ6R

Hi and welcome, Chris!

Since you've been riding a 250, you know a thing or too about winding the bike out to get power, so I guess it's a question of whether you've gotten used to that, or gotten tired of it. The FZ6R has a sweeeeet midrange, but I also think the FZ6 got some FI updates for 2009, so the difference may not be as quite pronounced as it when that 2007 article was written.

As far as the bikes bring "exactly the same price," I've seen FZ6Rs marked down to $5,999. I doubt you'll see that kind of a deal on the FZ6.

csinsc

Thanks to all who have given me input.

When you say the FI has been re-worked. Are you saying that it has a more usable low range, under the 6k that the article mentioned?

As far as prices, I was quoted either model (FZ6 or FZ6R) for $6900 out the door.

What is a good price for each out the door?

I think I am sold on the FZ6R, now I need to figure out which color...

Thanks,

Chris

JonKerr

Elite Member

FitZ6R

Raven is ravin'.

Just sayin'.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Yellow is NOWHERE near mellow...:cool:

Roaddawg

I agree with everyone here. This bike is good all-around, for everyday, everywhere riding. I had the dealer show me the FZ6 too, but I don't care for the naked look. I don't think you'd be upset with either, but the FZ6R definitely won't leave you disappointed. I commute on it every day on the freeway into San Francisco traffic. It's never let me down, when it comes to power and handling. I researched the crap out of every bike on the market, and the "R" just made the most sense to me.

calltrex

I got 2000 km on my FZ6R

Awesome bike. If i could rewind a month i would have bought the FZ1 with all the fairing. Maybe spring ill switch. I want the extra juice and its the same comfort riding.

demon408

the main reson that i bought this bike was price. i also have a 05 gsxr and the difference is night and day. if ur looking for a good lookin bike thats fun and has enough power to have fun then 100% the fz6r. if you want to really just go balls to the walls crazy, then nothin can compare to a real super sport. having both, i love both, its really bad. i ride like an idiot some times, thats when me and the gsxr go out, but for fun and looks(cause my gixxer is naked cause im a dum ass) i take the fz6r out, it hold its own in the twistys and its ez 2 ride

fz6rwolf

As for the color thing, all personal preference and your personality. If weren't for the painted in parts of the white I may have picked it and striiped all the decals but probably not. They had the yellow and blue at my dealership at the time I finally decided on the FZ6R, I'm very low key and not flashy so yellow with big star not for me. If they'd have had black it would have been tough cause I like either color but think blue would have won out anyways just because of cars I owned that were black and every bit of dust shows and really at this point in my life I don't care to clean very often, long as there's no rust or corrosion I'm good to go and would rather ride and not worry if my bike looks perfect.
See, there's alot to go into about choosing a color depending on who you are:D

Manna69247

As far as I know FZ6 stayed the same from 2007.
I had a 2008 FZ6 and loved it. If I will stay with 600cc I'll get a FZ6R in the near future but the FZ1 lurking in my mind. The FZ6R because I like the look more than the FZ6 and I won't use the extra power and brakes capabilities of the FZ6.

But, I must say about the FZ6 and the article. Seriously sluggish is not true and most of those articles get written by guys frequently on litre super sport bikes. The FZ6 is great and friendly under 8000rpm, the thing is, hell breaks loose above 8000rpm and it hurts you face because you can't keep the smile of your face.

You'll be happy with any one of them. Try test drive both.

FitZ6R

When you say the FI has been re-worked. Are you saying that it has a more usable low range, under the 6k that the article mentioned?
Yes, the updates were to improve low- and mid-range throttle response. However, I was wrong about the year; it looks like the revisions were in 2009, with no major changes for '08 or '09.

In any case, the FZ6 is a great bike with a loyal following, but it was this MCN article that convinced me that the R was the best choice for me:
www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2009AugShootout.pdf

As far as prices, I was quoted either model (FZ6 or FZ6R) for $6900 out the door.
What is a good price for each out the door?
Check the "How much did you pay" sticky thread. Under $7k OTD is good... if dealers are hungry for business, you could go lower.