adjusting tps

xtina

I was going through diagnostic mode and noticed that my tps maxes out at 87% with the throttle fully open. Does it need adjustment or is this a limitation from the factory. If the latter are these ECU's able to be reflashed?

Bert-Aus

Reading your post now, could tps translate to 'Throttle Position Sensor'?
If not, what does the acronym mean?

Edit: I just searched (via pdf search) the owners manuals and service manuals (FZ6R & Xj6) to which they make no reference to 'TPS'

so xtina, (or anyone else) what does tps mean?

Last edited:

lark

According to another member Dart:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lots of good info on this around here, just keep in mind, to restrict it, they simply installed a throttle stop, e.g. you can't turn the throttle to 100% wide open, but I don't recall where the stop is (30%, 60%, etc.):

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f91/instr...-l-fz6r-31035/

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f88/instr...highlight=lams

I believe this was in a discussion on a bike in Australia, but perhaps North American bikes are the same?

xtina

It's not restricted as much as the Lams bikes but like the r6 they have a throttle restriction in the ecu that prevents 100% throttle under 8k rpms. I'm not sure it if it's the same for the 6r or if mine is faulty. Bike runs fine otherwise.

xtina

Reading your post now, could tps translate to 'Throttle Position Sensor'?
If not, what does the acronym mean?

Edit: I just searched (via pdf search) the owners manuals and service manuals (FZ6R & Xj6) to which they make no reference to 'TPS'

so xtina, (or anyone else) what does tps mean?
it's the Throttle position sensor. it reads 16% with the throttle closed which is normal but only 87% when it's twisted wide open. I would think it would be 100%

Bert-Aus

To check it physically, remove the left fairings, lift the tank and the throttle body is just below the top frame tube on left side

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

You might take a look at this:
Throttle Position Sensor Issues

Yours could be as simple as the grip not turning all the way so looking into the airbox with the lid off should reveal if the throttle plates are fully opening. If not, a mechanical restriction/adjustment may be at fault.

For the most part, R1, R6, FZ6 FJR all run in this range. FZ6R ???
15 - 17 closed
97 - 100 WOT

I have an FSM for the several bikes but not this one. But in the FSM it tells how to check the the TPS using an ohm meter and set it using a volt meter.

Also, you may be able to see if at WOT, the stop hits the stop at the TB.
Good luck!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Spanky's Monkey

Impact gun was the best investment I made in my tools. Couldn't imagine working without it now.